Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! This is the first vivarium I've ever made, so any feedback is welcome! I'm always trying to do what I can to improve my husbandry of these amazing frogs. The viv is a 18" by 18" by 24" Exo Terra, with a great stuff and cork background. Currently there are 4 juvenile "fine spot" luecs calling it home. I'm aware that this tank isn't an ideal size for a group of 4 adult luecs, and their bigger forever home is already in the works.

Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Arecales

And I couldn't show the viv without showing the residents!

Plant Botany Leaf Organism Terrestrial plant

Any suggestions or feedback is welcome! After seeing some of the great vivs on here, I do want to do more with the unused space in any future builds. I definitely intend to use more hardscape in future designs.

Looking forward to comments and thanks for spotting by!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks amazing. Also, good looking bumblebees you have there. I'm still waiting on my pair of 'powder blue' tadpoles to grow up.
Thanks! I got them from a local breeder at the last local reptile expo in December, at this point they are maybe 4 months out of water. The original plan was to get some ranitomeya/Oophaga because I find the facultative/obligate egg feeding fascinating. However the SO fell in love with the yellow, so here we are. It does gives me an excuse to set up another tank!

How long do you have left before your tadpoles transition?

· Registered
Azureus, Vanzolinii
35 Posts
Very nice grown in setup, and awesome frogs!

I'm interested to hear how the air plants establish in your tank. How long have they been in there? I heard they need more airflow than most PDF tanks have, do you have some ventilation fan going as well?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice grown in setup, and awesome frogs!

I'm interested to hear how the air plants establish in your tank. How long have they been in there? I heard they need more airflow than most PDF tanks have, do you have some ventilation fan going as well?
So the viv has been set up since mid October, and so far the air plants seem to be doing okay. A couple of them did die, but the ones on the fake vine appear to be thriving. I will say that the tank currently has the stock mesh top which probably helps with airflow. However, before anyone starts roasting me there is a blanket covering the top and sides of the tank to help protect it from drafts, there is an automatic misting system, and the humdity never falls below 80% in the tank. I do have an all glass top that came with the tank, but the humidity was staying too high (95%+) and the frogs were less active then they are now. I'm sure once it's not winter I'll have to adjust the top to maintain humidity, but for now it appears to be working okay. We'll also have to see how the air plants do then too.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the thorough update! Do you know the names of the ones that have survived?
They are all pretty standard, I bought a variety pack off Amazon lol. The ones on the vines in front are T. plagiotrophica and T. argentea. also in the viv are T. ionantha, T. baileyi and T. circinata. There are a couple more that I have no idea what they are, but I would be happy to post photos of someone wants to give it a crack at IDing them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts