Dendroboard banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Ok, this is awesome! Thank you.

I’ll keep looking at more auratus in Panama, but I see some terrestrial plants in the videos that look like the anthurium I’m considering. Long, thin leaves and kind low to the ground. And yes, lots of leaf litter.

I’ve noticed my froglet loves to perch on the larger magnolia leaves I put over the smaller oak leaves in the temporary tank, so those seem like keepers.

Guess I know what I’m doing after my kid goes to bed … And I’m usually nagging at him that YouTube content isn’t that valuable. 🤓

·
Super Moderator
3,986 Posts
Guess I know what I’m doing after my kid goes to bed … And I’m usually nagging at him that YouTube content isn’t that valuable. 🤓
It almost always isn't valuable, whether about dart frog care or using Gorilla Glue as a hair care product (or whatever dumb thing is there now; it is really impossible to keep up with) but this is carefully curated content. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
It almost always isn't valuable, whether about dart frog care or using Gorilla Glue as a hair care product (or whatever dumb thing is there now; it is really impossible to keep up with) but this is carefully curated content. :)
Ha ha! Yeah, I can't see the enrichment in the people playing Minecraft non-stop that seems to be on when my kid has the remote.

But I loved that Adventure Ed in Panama video you shared in the in-situ thread. I got a little weepy at some parts and super excited at others. Really good stuff about conservation and educating people to leave the seemingly dangerous animals alone since they're in fact not dangerous. Reminds me of the "The Year the Earth Changed" documentary about how the huge decrease in human intervention during the pandemic allowed so many types of animals to thrive and communicate undisturbed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
OK, so Matala is cut and ready. I have some pollen-guard window screen to put between substrate and open cell foam (still need to get the foam), so it all goes like this:

Matala
Foam
Screen
Substrate

I’m going to do one practice glass-drilling before I drill the tank, aiming to do that this weekend. I have the diamond hole saw that’s sized for the 1/2” bulkhead I got. Thinking about making a paper or cardboard template of the hole saw size to get placement right. Watched a handful of glass-drilling videos and read through the glassmaster’s thread that was posted here (last week, maybe? I have no good sense of time these days).

Maybe a pic of the drilled tank early next week, if I can get to it this weekend!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks great. What are you planning on using for the false bottom?

Edit:
I also noticed you didn't drill your tank. I strongly suggest doing this before you go any further.
What is the purpose of drilling a tank? I'm finding threads on how to drill but I'm still not sure why to do it

·
Registered
526 Posts
What is the purpose of drilling a tank? I'm finding threads on how to drill but I'm still not sure why to do it
To drain the water from your false bottom. Without a drain the water level will keep rising and saturate your substrate.

This is Kate's thread though, so please start a thread for any other questions you have.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts