Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I’m starting a thread to document the construction of my 10g vert vivarium. I love the idea of making a small and ecosystem in my room. The design isn’t perfect, and nor is my construction, but I had fun making it.

I’m hoping the viv will fit a pair of Ranitomeya, either imitator, variabilis, or amazonica. I will definitely let the tank settle in for a few months before I add any frogs. Does anyone have suggestions for where to purchase my cleanup crew?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started my build with an old 10g aquarium.

Constructed the background with Great Stuff, acrylic, coco fiber, and some sphagnum moss. Included one main log in the middle, cork bark for texture, and two pots - one up top left and one mid right.

Any suggestions for something to plant in the top one? I’d like a plant that hangs and grows down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finished the door by drilling air holes, attaching latch and handle, and adding hinges.

Note the crack in the upper right. An unfortunate mistake while drilling air holes, but it’ll work out when I add the fogger hose through the corner.

The light arrived! So excited to plant this.

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
I'd strongly recommend skipping the fogger, especially with the really meager amount of venting. Ideally, that top portion would be screen, and there would be venting at the bottom to allow replacement air to enter.

Reactions: Kmc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Finished the door and false bottom/drainage layer. Also bought a light. Don’t mind the dirty window, I still need to clean it before I plant the tank. I have a plant order coming in from Glassbox Tropicals this week.

What is your suggested substrate mix? I was thinking a layer of charcoal above the screen then a mix of coco fiber, sphagnum moss, and ABG mix. I bought a gallon of ABG from Glassbox but it may not be enough.

Any suggestions for what I should plant in the two pots on the background? I was thinking something that hangs well in the top like baby tears or a pothos. I’m unsure what would look good in the lower pot.

I’ll update with a plant list soon!

·
Super Moderator
3,336 Posts
What is your suggested substrate mix? I was thinking a layer of charcoal above the screen then a mix of coco fiber, sphagnum moss, and ABG mix. I bought a gallon of ABG from Glassbox but it may not be enough.

Any suggestions for what I should plant in the two pots on the background? I was thinking something that hangs well in the top like baby tears or a pothos. I’m unsure what would look good in the lower pot.
The charcoal layer isn't useful at all, and will only take up vertical space that the frogs need. I wouldn't adulterate ABG mix, either; it is designed to function well with ingredients in a certain proportion. and GBT's mix is really good as is. A gallon is plenty. Adding moisture holding ingredients will simply cause it to decompose prematurely.

Thumbs would use pathos as more surface area, but not baby tears, really. They get a lot of use out of Neoregelia, so I'd put a couple/few in there. Tiny vivs need to be designed with the frogs' needs as the primary design driver, and the frogs don't care what looks nice to humans. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received my plants after the package got lost and most of the plants survived! I also bought a few extras at my local nursery.

Two orchids, one bromeliad, and a cutting of Marcgravia umbellta.

I think my marcgravia is a goner, but fingers crossed I may see some new growth. If not, does anyone have marcgravia trimmings they would send me? Or where should I buy some more? I love the look of it and would like it to spread throughout the

In the tank, I planted some sellaginella, a black rabbit foot fern, some variegated ficus quercifolia, a golden pothos, biophytum, fitonia, the two pictured orchids, and one neoregilia bromeliad.

Any suggestions on what more to add with thumbnail darts in mind? I’m thinking an additional tall growing plant in the back right and more neoregilia in the mid/upper sections of the viv to add access to all the levels.

Where should I buy springtails and isopods?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts