Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I meant to do this as a journal, but impatience, lack of confidence and a spring break got in the way.

Here are some pics of my first vivarium I made from scratch.

Lights off


Lights on, larger view


One of two new residents


My clay substrate


Glass plates to control venting


Side view


Outside dimensions are 12w x 12l x 16h.
I made the enclosure myself, you can see where I failed at the curved cut. It has two sliding doors i removed for the picture.

I made the background with redart, kitty litter, and crushed sphagnum. It hides a pVc air duct from below the egg crate false bottom to the top where the 40mm fan is housed, as well as holding up some chunks of cork and some grapewood branches. I made the clay portion of the substrate with redart, kitty litter, and CaCO3; it is a layer of LECA, the clay balls I formed, some organic soil sprinkled in the back and oak leaf litter. There is a pillow of zoomed "frog moss" that I got growing again in a ziploc.

I pressed some pieces of java moss on the bottom of the clay wall, and the plants I used are Neo. Fireball, Eplc Don Herman 'Emi' and Angraecum didieri in the back cork. Ill add more as I find interesting things that are appropriately sized.

I know it's on the small side, but I wanted to make a sort of model before I finalize plans for a larger viv to eventually house darts. I found the two ebraccata while on vacation and I couldn't resist.

So please give feedback, constructive criticism is always welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should add, I added a small piece of cpvc in the front corner to drain the bottom if necessary, and there are some selaginella clippings stuck to the back as well. I'm not quite done with it, I want to build a nice hood out of wood and find a non-intrusive container to add a small soaking pool.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top