Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. This is my first post, but I have read the forum for years. I finally got a 29 gallon tank and have made the false bottom from egg crate, and covered it in window screen. I bought some drift wood pieces on ebay yesterday and already have Great Stuff, black silicon, and coco fiber. I'm going to be buying everything else I need as I go along building it.

I'm going to do a drip wall over a piece of really cool drift wood I found into the pond.

I'm not sure which darts I want to get yet. I'm split between azureus and leucomelas. I really like the bold, two toned color patterns, and they are both good beginner frogs. I would only get a pair of azureus, but could I comfortably put 3 leucs in there?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think either will be fine... leucs are one of my fav frogs.. looks like a good start to me! Cant wait to see an update

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my driftwood in and bought some cork. Here are pics of the final layout I have decided on.

from the top, down

All I have to do is clean the wood, and apply silicone where I don't want to see the Great Stuff on the glass.

I've decided that I will eventually be getting leucs. They are more active, will use the vertical space more, and if I buy 3 unsexed,I have an 87.5% chance of getting at least a pair and a 50% chance of a trio.

So what does everyone think so far?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update! I've done the first and second layers of great stuff. I put a couple of 3" pots in the background.

And here are some plants I bought at home depot on impulse. I also have ficus pumila.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a layer of silicon and coco fiber with some sphagnum moss in it. I also ordered plants, substrate, lights, and springtails to get this ready for frogs in a few weeks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looking great so far, I like the drift woods that you used. For my first frogs I had originally planned on getting D. azureus, but got two D. tinctorius, they are extremely easy and are always hopping around. I believe that they are pretty similar so I say go with either one. Keep it up!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I just got my plants in today and will be planting it over the next few days, here are some pics of it with gravel, substrate, and leaf litter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It looks like your new habi is coming along quite well!!! I love how you outlined your water/land separation with corkbark/log. I can imagine the moss growing down to the water now! Can't wait for some more updates as I've already starting spinning some inspirations thru my mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright guys, it's finally done. It's planted and seeded with springtails. Now I just have to wait a bit for it to grow in and I'll be getting my frogs :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Looks good so far... any plants going in the water? Anubias nana look nice growing emersed if you wana give it a try.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to put some emersed plants in, but haven't really thought about what kind, anubias nana does look good though, and I already have some java moss that I plan on putting in there.

I plan to put some cherry shrimp in there when I have the plants added.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very natural! I am really liking the overhang by the water. With regard to the Anubias Nana, I would go with Nana Petite as I think the size is more appropriate for your "setting".
-Nate

·
Registered
212 Posts
Nice setup!!!

Do you think you can share some pics from the water area, I'd like to see a close up from your pump how drips water??

Good luck with your frogs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions guys! I ordered some anubias eyes, it's supposed to be a smaller variety. And no pics of the water feature. I haven't gotten my filter in the mail yet. but here are some updated pics.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts