Dendroboard banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey Dude! Although I've moved to the high school and someone else is running "Method's Classroom" several of the plants you donated are still going strong in there.

I've been looking forward to making a PDF tank for a couple years and decided to bite the bullet over the summer. I've also taken my time researching frogs and was about to post a question here anyway :)

So I've narrowed the species down to a few. I want a frog that does well in groups; I have a larger tank after all. I also want a frog that's relatively easy for beginners. Sound might be a factor because this tank is right under the TV in the living room. Here are the frogs I've narrowed it down to (in no particular order).

Leucs (concerned about the sound, but otherwise they seem perfect)
Auratus 'Bocas' (Too big? Too camouflaged? Other auratus sound shy)
R. vanzolinii (too fast?)
R. variabilis (too camouflaged)
R. imitator (worried about aggression in groups)

I've always liked Epipedobates but it seems like they're at least as loud as leucs and not quite as easy to keep.

I'm open for suggestions!
Just wanted to chime in on auratus shyness. I have a group of 6 D. auratus "panama special" (which is technically the same morph as highland bronze or birkahn) and I see at least two of them throughout the day. They don't stay put when I feed like tincs would but they are definitely not shy in my care so far. Just take a look at this time-lapse I made last year. At the time there were only 5 in the viv:

Not sure about this but I always thought Epipedobates were considered easy beginner frogs? Regardless they are indeed pretty loud for their size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just wanted to chime in on auratus shyness. I have a group of 6 D. auratus "panama special" (which is technically the same morph as highland bronze or birkahn) and I see at least two of them throughout the day. They don't stay put when I feed like tincs would but they are definitely not shy in my care so far. Just take a look at this time-lapse I made last year. At the time there were only 5 in the viv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL0c_R3nNNI

Not sure about this but I always thought Epipedobates were considered easy beginner frogs? Regardless they are indeed pretty loud for their size.
This is a fantastic window into your frogs' day.

I'm going to a herp expo in northern Maryland this weekend. It's going to be a toss up between auratus and leucomelas. The others I've mentioned are still in the running. I'll post when I get frogs :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would go with Leucs personally :)
That's where I'm leaning. The tank is right under my TV so I'm a little concerned about the noise. Like I mentioned above I'll be shopping heavily at the Maryland Reptile Expo this weekend. Any of the frogs I mentioned are possibilities. This tank's been up for six months and is ready for some vertebrates!

Here are some of the recent invertebrates. I pulled three Crystal Red and three Red Cherry shrimp from my kitchen aquaponics/herb tank. Let's see how they do!

The water I use for this viv is from my rainwater system so it's *really* low TDS (~5 ppm). I remineralize with a DIY mix of gypsum, epsom salts, potassium sulphate, monopotassium phosphate, and a trace mix. Did I mention I came at frog keeping from an aquarium background? :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Picked up five vittatus froglets last weekend at a local show! They're still really shy and I haven't seen much of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Frogs have been in for 11 months. First tad taxi today! These frogs are getting much bolder as time rolls by.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Successful tadpole deposition! I was wondering if I'd need to add a petri dish for the male to drop the tads in because I've never seen the frogs use the water feature. I'm also interested to see if there's any interaction between the tadpoles and the small colony of red cherry shrimp.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts