Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple days I've been working on my first vivarium build, I'm now in the market for plants. I figured asking here would be the best place to get good advice, so please leave me some suggestions. I'm trying to plant this tank well, I don't want it to be overcrowded once it grows it.

tank details: 36x18x36 exo, great stuff/peat background, looking to get a 3 foot (4?) bulb t5-ho fixture, and buying a mist king early next month.

(any other advice is also appreciated)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ignore my spelling in the picture, I think I sniffed a few too many fumes earlier.:rolleyes:

Going to make some ABG mix for the substrate, I need plant ideas!

Species recommendations would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Since you have a foam background I would recomend some broms for the back and sides. Broms with woody stolons (stems) are great as you can just push them into the foam.
Jason (tropicalplantz) has some great deals FYI.

Creeping fig would also look great in there. It will grow quite easily and will climb up your background. It can grow quite rapidly though.

As for ground cover I typically use live oak leaf litter. But moss looks good if its done right, but can take time to grow in.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you get the little vines going, I like them. I'm working on something like that now.
For the vines I just used rope, silicone, and peat. same process as a great stuff background. I upbraided the ropes to get varied sizes so it would look more natural.

Creeping fig is cheap and can't die I have it in all of my vivs with a BG.
I'm trying to avoid creeping fig, I've heard that it can take over vivs. I'm more interested in slow growing vines, orchids, broms,and something terrestrial(specific species?). I'm just not sure what will grow where other than the broms
Has anyone had luck with moss growing on the great stuff background?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
my creeping fig won't freaking grow. I planted it in the shade thinking it might slow down its growth but its doing NOTHING. I even took a clipping and put it in full light and its dying.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
For the vines I just used rope, silicone, and peat. same process as a great stuff background. I upbraided the ropes to get varied sizes so it would look more natural.

I'm trying to avoid creeping fig, I've heard that it can take over vivs. I'm more interested in slow growing vines, orchids, broms,and something terrestrial(specific species?). I'm just not sure what will grow where other than the broms
Has anyone had luck with moss growing on the great stuff background?
No luck on moss growing on GS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my creeping fig won't freaking grow. I planted it in the shade thinking it might slow down its growth but its doing NOTHING. I even took a clipping and put it in full light and its dying.

Not sure how you killed it. I threw a piece of creeping fig in an empty 10 gallon and left it outside, took over the tank without even adding water.. Thats why I don't really want it in my viv.

·
Registered
707 Posts
There are some slower growing creeping figs, both minima and 'Quercifolia' are slow, and the Panama takes forever to grow. Rhaphidophora's (shingle plants) also won't take anything over. For the ground, some Pileas would look good, involucrata is one of my favorites. There's also a really neat mini ginger, Monocostus uniflorus (Peruvian spiral ginger), that only gets about 8" or so and looks really cool spreading across the floor in the typical ginger fashion.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes 'Quercifolia' is very slow growing. I have some of it in a tank with standard creeping fig and it grows probably 30 times slower than the standard stuff. Looks nicer too IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Bonnie, I really like the involucrata and shingle plants . I'll see if I can find it anywhere.

On the topic of frogs. I have a few dart species in mind, but what do you think would make the most use out of the space? :confused: Or should I post this question in another section?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have you owned PDF's before?

IMO that tank would be great for thumbnails. It doesnt seem like there is much floor space for larger frogs like Tinctorious.
If you havent already I would read through the care sheets on the forums.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Have you owned PDF's before?

IMO that tank would be great for thumbnails. It doesnt seem like there is much floor space for larger frogs like Tinctorious.
If you havent already I would read through the care sheets on the forums.
Just two azureus that I've had for ~6-8 months. I was thinking about thumbs, but I haven't researched them too much yet, I just know they tend to be shy. I always do a couple months of research before getting an animal, I just trying to get some good ideas. :) There is a decent amount of floor space, about 32"x15"... but it is mostly vertical.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The intermedius I have are fairly bold and I see them quite often despite them being in a heavily planted 75g tank. This is my only experience owning thumbnails though I have worked with quite a few varieties.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts