Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well two weeks after getting the pair of vents they laid eggs. There were six in the clutch, but 2 look to have gone bad. I separated the 2 bad ones from the rest and am keeping my fingers crossed on the rest. Hopefully my azureus will take the hint and get busy too.

Rob
 
G

·
Congrads!!!! I only have one snip of advice: get lots of small tupperware containers, cause vents are machines. Once they get going, the only way to slow them down is an act of god. You will welcome a few eggs molding over. I have only one pair, and I am running out of places to put vent tads :) If my dog would stop drinking out of the toilet, I might just use it to raise vents :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was totally unexpected as these were brand new frogs. Right now they are in small tupperware containers but on Monday I will order some glass petri dishes. Any words of advice on how to keep the eggs from molding over?

Rob
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
8,733 Posts
"Tadpole Tea".

I use the "Almond Leaves" that Black Jungle sells. Two of the leaves into a 5 gallon bucket. I just use the water (after it's seaped at least 24h hours) in my petri dishes and in my tadpole containers.

I also mention glass vs. plastic for some of the studies that have shown that elements of plastic have caused some problems in Reed and Tree frogs. This study has been done at the University of California Berkley I believe.

I apologize for not having more specific information on this, but I used to communicate with the professor who lead the study (he was a Reed Frog expert).

s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Damn you Rob,
I've had my vents since November and nothing. You have yours for 2 weeks and you've got eggs. I am starting to think that I don't have a pair or if they are laying, they are laying in the broms and I can't see the eggs. Did you see them calling?? Did you use film canisters. What's the deal??

-Ben
 
G

·
Ben...highly possible that you have 2 females. I have bred vents extensively and can attest that they are truly breeding machines...the only way I could get mine to stop was to do a total seperation. The reason I stopped them was because they were laying every 1-2 weeks for over a year and I felt they needed a break...I was also running out of room for tads.

-Bill J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
My vents are out of control. They must have a big love going. I am trying a new method of raising the tadpoles because I just have no way of raising 90 tadpoles and keeping a full time job.

I have "tadpole mulch" and have put 15 tads together in the same critter keeper. So far so good. They are growing like crazy and I have witnessed no cannibalism. I'll let you all know the progress.

-Blake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Your out of control vents are the parents of my 2 boys or girls or a pair. I got them last november from you. I think that by now they should have gotten their groove on if they are indeed a pair. I thought that I heard calling a few moths ago, but nothing so far. Unless they are laying in bromeliads and I can't get to them. I may just change my tank around a bit just so that I can see them more and get to the bottom of things i.e. see them more and be able to check the broms for potential eggs.

-Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
I keep my vents in a large enclosure that is heavily planted. I hardly ever see them because I am focusing more on breeding, rather than on displaying them. I usually go in once a month and suck out the deposited tads form the bromeliads and remove any eggs. Most of the bromeliads are in pots or attached to wood or something like that so I can remove and check them thoroughly. They never used film canisters so I removed all of them. Maybe there is an easier way but this has worked for me.

With the mulch, I fill a container with water and place enough mulch in the water so that it turns a weak tea color. I never replace the water but I add more when the level drops. That's about it. Like I said I am experimenting and so far it is working.

-Blake
 
G

·
Blake,

I've found great success with them in vivs that contain no bromeliads but very heavy philodendron and similar plantings. My vents seemed to prefer the film canisters over bromeliads but would lay in both. By scattering out a large ammount of film canisters, baby food jars, sterilized medcine bottles, and s fourth, I found it much easier to pull eggs and tads wioth having to disturb the vivarium too much by removing and foraging through plants. I've had a higher yeild in recovered eggs and tadpoles via this method after switching from the larger broms.

-Bill J.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top