Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my pair of imitator Tarapoto have laid eggs/tads for about 6 months now, none of which were successful until now. I have my very first two froglets OOW as of this past Friday. They have completely lost all of their tails. One I pulled because he was easy to pull from the film container and put in first a morph container and today moved to a grow out container and fed springtails and melano's. The other I left in the tank with mommy and daddy because he came out of a brom.

The parents have been very busy it seems. Saturday, I found two eggs on the glass, they are already developing beautifully. Sunday, while checking on the little froglet in the brom, I noticed papa jumping happily along the tank transporting a tad on his back! I still don't know where the eggs are, must have been in the brom somewhere. This is the very first time I see a transport in real life. My husband and I were so excited we decided to sit in the room and watch from afar to where he would deposit him. There are 3 film containers with water as well as the brom where the froglet is. Well, we were very disappointed to see that the papa frog after about an hour of watching, he just took the little tad to his cubby (where they normally sleep) and never came back out. We could see him in there with the tad on his back. At night he was still there. This morning, I could not find a tad in the water, I didn't get to see if it was still on his back. This morning the activity was he was right next to his mate in the corner of the tank and he was calling a lot.

Questions:

1 - Is wet moss enough for moisture for these froglets?

2 - The froglets do not move very much. I heard they would be sluggish the first few days, but do they not really move from the same spot for two days after coming out of the water? Is this normal behavior? I added more leaf litter.

3 - Do the froglets have a pretty good chance of living at this point? Is there still a possibility they will die?

4 - Is the larger round plastic clear container that measures about 8 inches across and 4-5 inches deep (guessing at the measurements) too big for the little froglet to find his food? Since he's not moving much I wondered if he would just starve.

5 - How long will a tad live on the papa's back? What's normal time on transporting?

6 - Why wouldn't the papa frog deposit the tad in water, was it because we were in the room watching? We sat pretty still, had little conversation, and were across the room from the tank. We sat for about 30 min to an hour and then gave up leaving him alone for the rest of the afternoon and day.

Thanks in advance for you help!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
1) I raise my froglets on damp sphagnum moss with leaf litter.
2) Yes, it's normal.
3) Sure they do, but unfortunately, yes. Best you can do is be offering plenty of springtails and dusted fruit flies, preferably stunted (from an old culture) or wingless, small flies. Dust with Repashy Calcium Plus (formerly Repashy Calcium Plus ICB). Suppliment should be fresh and replaced every 6 months. Feed small amounts of bugs fairly often, rather than huge amounts at once. Too many bugs crawlling on froglets can stress them to death.
4) Sounds like a nice size container for his first month or two.
5) My Varadero imitators like to make a habit of showing off new tads on their backs for 48 hours!! And they do fine. It's like, "HEY! Look what we did!":D
6) Just plain because. Because you were watching, because he wasn't ready, because he was showing off, because he enjoys watching you squirm!
Relax! Sounds like everything is on track. Make sure your supplements are fresh and your springtails are hopping! Congrats!!

Reactions: oneshot

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was great information and it made me feel a lot more at ease. Wow 48 hour transport! Never imagined. I was so bummed thinking we would lose the little guy. Back to excitement at our place then. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Any time Andry. Imis are my favorite frog! Somebody here posted that his terribilis have carried tads for many days. If memory serves, I think he said about 10 days!!
What line of Taras are you working with? Understory? If so, pm me about a possible future trade.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the info I got: 2008 SNDF Import (same as INIBICO line, per TWI)

I don't know who TWI is. These frogs went from Steven Timms in League City, TX who sold his entire collection to Leo Skiba in Pearland, TX.

Here is the thread of the first sale:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/frog-classifieds/54622-collection-sale-texas.html

I purchased 4 of the subadults: F1 D. Imitator (Tarapoto) subadults

I would like some Veradero in the future. I will be looking to trade/buy some later this year.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
OK thanks, but it is the Understory line in particular I'm looking for. Otherwise I already have a pair of Tarapoto. I may have Varadero ready when you are looking though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts