Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my first Dart Frog but I don't know how to do the tank. I have read so many things and it varies between "use live plants" and "just use fake ones". When it comes to the live stuff there is 100s of options. Basically I am just looking for a set up that is right for the frog, easy to clean, and won't rot away fast or get disgusting, and won't break the bank ( don't want to get some expensive waterfall ect.). I am looking at just getting a Thumbnail and putting it in an 8x8x12 exo terra tank. If someone could please help boil down some info or offer suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Look through some tanks on here and browse the construction category. I'm not sure who recommends fake plants but I sure wouldn't. Live plants can help with humidity, create micro-climates etc... I would also look into a bigger thank than what you mentioned, even for just 1 thumb.

·
Registered
211 Posts
For the amount you will spend on the little exo-terra, you can get a 10 gallon aquarium and a vertical conversion kit for a little more money. The thumbnail you plan to get will enjoy the added space!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you link me to a site that has that 10 gallon tank and conversion kit?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am looking at getting my first Dart Frog but I don't know how to do the tank. I have read so many things and it varies between "use live plants" and "just use fake ones". When it comes to the live stuff there is 100s of options. Basically I am just looking for a set up that is right for the frog, easy to clean, and won't rot away fast or get disgusting, and won't break the bank ( don't want to get some expensive waterfall ect.). I am looking at just getting a Thumbnail and putting it in an 8x8x12 exo terra tank. If someone could please help boil down some info or offer suggestions that would be awesome! Thanks in advance!
Just take your time and plan everything out to start. You definitely don't want fake plants and for what you would have spent on fake plants you could by a few nice bromeliads and just mount it on a cork flat because they are epiphytes, get a cheap fern for the ground and sterilize some dead leaves to put on the ground and put some springtails in the substrate to "seed" it. Make sure to keep the substrate separate from a drainage layer and just suction out the accumulated water there when the level gets high. Get a dome lamp from you local builders supply store and while you are there get a compact fluorescent grow bulb and you are almost ready for putting your pet inside its new home. Get your feeder cultures going and established before getting your frog because you don't want to run out of food, because it will happen if you are not prepared! After you get the culturing food down pat, then you can get your frog and put it into a quarantine enclosure (Plastic Shoebox) from wal-mart with a pothos clipping and some sphagnum moss. Keep the frog in there for a month to see if it is healthy and ready to be put in its new home! I am only scratching the surface of dart frog keeping but you have found the right site to help you in your new found hobby! This may seem like a daunting list of to do's, however you want to do it right from the get go so you can enjoy your frog, its home you created and also save money and time from not making mistakes. I wish you well on your dart frog endeavor and hope to hear about how things are going! Keep us posted and and always ask this forum any question about frogging you may have!

-repking26-

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those links, I might do that instead. As far as "seeding" the terrarium how do I know if there are enough in there, should they be visibly crawling everywhere? I just don't know how I would gauge that to see if the frog is eating enough. I have looked at how to breed them in cultures outside of the tank but not doing it in. Would I be doing all the breeding in the tank or some in some out?

·
Registered
586 Posts
You should try and have a culture on hand and thriving so you can reseed the tank when you don't see many crawling any more. You want to be able to restock on the springs in case your froggies are pigs! If you end up getting too many in the culture, you can feed them out as treats.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'm new to the hobby myself. Please take my little experience for what it is. I also wanted to suggest that Craigslist is a very good place to look for an aquarium to convert or a terrarium for a very good price. If starting off with an used tank, then read up on here how to properly disinefect the tank.
To find a tremendous amount of info on here, then use the search function up above.
The previously mentioned springtails work great as little janitors for your frogs home. They are also a great supplement to feeding. Dual purpose. For the feeding, then fruitflies will probably be your main source. There's lots of info on here about how to maintain cultures and how to dust them(adding a pinch full of vitamins at feeding time). Josh's Frogs is one of the popular sites that have videos/tutorials that walk you through it very well. This forum has many great sponsors that can help you with all of your needs.
My personal advice, take your time and research a lot. It saves you from learning everything the "hard" way. It'll save you money. It'll save you from having many regrets of wishing you did it different. It will make for a much happier and healthier frog.
Good luck and happy frogging!
-Chris.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of substrate do you recommend using if I am going to seed it with Springtails? I was planning on using this mix called ABG from joshfrogs and then put some coco husk over that. Will that work or should I use other things?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts