Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Looks good. They would appreciate a lot more leaf litter. Also, I try to have a little standing water somewhere in a tank. They will visit it occasionally.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Tanks looks great, let it grow a while before introducing the frogs into the tank. This tank look quite small for a group tho, what are the sizes?

I advice quite the opposite, don't keep standing water in their. They will find water inside the bromeliads.

Keep your substrate dry and add more leaflitter and some filmcanisters. This way the frogs will be happy in there :)

·
Super Moderator
2,683 Posts
Which Ranitomeya species?

The standing water on the bottom isn't a good idea at all. There is no substrate for microfauna, and for dry leaf litter on top. That added to the fact that the background is relatively flat, there is very little usable space in the viv the way it is set up, and few hiding spots.

That gravel layer could function as a drainage layer, I suppose, and barrier and substrate could go on top of it. Just remember to drop a drainage tube if the viv isn't drilled.

What are the wire-looking things in the top left corner?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The standing water on the bottom isn't a good idea at all. There is no substrate for microfauna, and for dry leaf litter on top. That added to the fact that the background is relatively flat, there is very little usable space in the viv the way it is set up, and few hiding spots.

That gravel layer could function as a drainage layer, I suppose, and barrier and substrate could go on top of it. Just remember to drop a drainage tube if the viv isn't drilled.

What are the wire-looking things in the top left corner?
You can't see it but the back right corner has a large ABG section with a colony of springtails and isopods. I will def add more leaf litter to create some hiding spots and usable area.

The put the led lights inside viv and attached magnets to hold them on top. I ran the wires through a small cut hole that I siliconed after I cut and ran the wires through. I hope the lights can handle the humidity....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Really enjoy the design aesthetics of this tank, especially with that statement piece front and center-ish. I too concur with the leaf litter/hide spot feedback posted above, but that's easily remedied.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really enjoy the design aesthetics of this tank, especially with that statement piece front and center-ish. I too concur with the leaf litter/hide spot feedback posted above, but that's easily remedied.
Thanks!!! I added more leaf litter today.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have four Ranitomeya vanzolini planned for it. Does anyone know info about them?
4 seems to much in this small size of tank.

There is a lot of info to be found on the species/morph in this forum, you can use the search bar.

Again, the best advice is to lose the waterfeature in your tank and keep your substrate dry.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The light fixture is inside? I know led done get very warm, but Ranitomeya are very small and like to cozy up in tight places. They might find a gap in there, although I’m not sure if it would be harmful to them. The humidity will shorten the lifespan of the fixture greatly.

What type if viv is that? I can’t tell if it’s a an aquarium conversion or not.

There’s a lot of potential for more hiding places with more broms and other plants growing in. I’m pretty new to this stuff. Everyone here was very helpful getting me off to a great start and avoiding mistakes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The light fixture is inside? I know led done get very warm, but Ranitomeya are very small and like to cozy up in tight places. They might find a gap in there, although I’m not sure if it would be harmful to them. The humidity will shorten the lifespan of the fixture greatly.

What type if viv is that? I can’t tell if it’s a an aquarium conversion or not.

There’s a lot of potential for more hiding places with more broms and other plants growing in. I’m pretty new to this stuff. Everyone here was very helpful getting me off to a great start and avoiding mistakes.
Breaking the mold and put the LEDs inside. The lights are set apart from the backing. We'll see if they get up there. The viv is pretty warm and LOTS of hiding places. TDB! Keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

The standing water on the bottom isn't a good idea at all.
Consensus seems to be I'm wrong on the standing water feature. Typically I will have small bowl in the back primarily for depositing tads, but the sirensis and tincs tend to visit it occasionally. That's what I was referring to, Is that now considered a bad idea? On first viewing I assumed that there was a false bottom in this tank but now it looks like water is all the way up to through the substrate. If that's true that's no good. Definitely didn't mean to imply standing water over the substrate.

Sorry for any confusing advice. I stand by the leaf litter though. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,683 Posts
Typically I will have small bowl in the back primarily for depositing tads, but the sirensis and tincs tend to visit it occasionally. That's what I was referring to, Is that now considered a bad idea?
It is hard, I think, to make the case that a small bowl of water, kept cleanish, is harmful in any way. If you're going to promote tad deposition, water is required, and if frogs visit it, that's nice too (though not necessary).

There is a continuum of 'standing water in vivs', ranging from your small bowl to a so-called dart viv that is merely a small upright structure standing in a shallow fishtank. The main resistance seems to be to those water features that have no frog-centric purpose, and/or take away floor space which, in 98% of vivs, is already too small. I think it is those egregious cases that make some of us hypersensitive.

I have 1.5oz deli cups for my leucs to deposit in, and the adults spend an inordinate amount of time just staring into the empty (but for water) cups. I wouldn't give them water just so that they can space out like that, but if they get some apparent need met from deposit cups, great. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

UPDATE! Thanks for everyone’s input and help. I dropped the water line to the drainage height and added a ton of leaf litter. Frogs are here! They’re using every nook of the tank which I love. I got some Ranitomeya Vanzolini and loving them. Pic above has three frogs!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts