Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 10g vvivarium I just finished it is my first real one and its definatly not as nice as some of yours but im happy with it as a simple first viv. Also I was wondering if the plants will survive in only about 2.5 inches of soil as that is all I had room for. Honest feedback is welcome and appreciated as well as any suggestions. I will also answer any questions. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think 2 auratus would do fine in there. Where did you get that light? Im very jealous of it! Since that is a smallish tank, I would put some oak leaves in there with some mag leaves. You will be a little surprised how odd a bunch of large mag leaves look in a small tank because there's not a lot of room for many of them to lay flat. So, you end up trying to place them in there perfectly and they don't look natural without a lot of smaller leaves filling gaps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks the light I had from a planted aquarium it is a current satalite I believe and has 2 compact floresant lights that put out like 50 watts each but I am only using 1 of them

·
Registered
568 Posts
Once he adds leaves, and gets some water down in that LECA I bet he almost never has to mist. Looks a bit dark for coco, is it straight peat? If you did use straight up coco or peat, I would mix in some organic charcoal pieces into it and maybe some sphagnum moss as well.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
It's nice. Just know that those plants are going to quickly outgrow your terrarium, esp. the middle one---it gets very tall.
I would recommend a bromeliad instead---the neoregelia types are good choice--ampullacea comes to mind. You will want some shorter ones b/c it's a horiz. setup.

The other one on the right can't take the humidity for long, I already tried that. While the roots seem fine, the leaves start to rot within a month or so.
A good substitute choice is a silver philodendron.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Looks nice! A great, simple tank. My suggestions would be to remove those plants and get smaller growing ones... a few ficus pumila cuttings and maybe a fern or aroid could look nice. Also mag leaves are too big for that tank... the smaller leaves you get the better IMO. Sand live oak would be great. Also sprinkle some java moss around. I'm sure it'll grow like crazy in that tank.

Have you seeded with microfauna yet? Now is the time to do that :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Also sprinkle some java moss around. I'm sure it'll grow like crazy in that tank.
I second this. Java Moss grows like a weed in my tank. A single strand fell ontop of my cocohut and I'm sure in a couple months it will look like I'd put a whole wad on there. It's already several several times the size of the original thread. I got a golfball-sized wad and I am shocked at how quickly and how thickly its been spreading throughout my tank. I put it on pieces of driftwood and it's creeping away from those slowly but surely.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no micro fauna yet I am going to make an order on joshs frogs and buy some smaller plants and springtails do you think I should do a backround? a par of me says that it takes up too much space in a 10g but I might be wrong

1 - 16 of 16 Posts