Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm just about to take the first steps into dartfrog keeping and can't wait. My viv is on order and will be 40x40x60cm high with a false bottom. Still not decided how I'm going to landscape it yet but having browsed through a few threads this morning I'm more than a little inspired :)

I've kept all sorts of animals over the years; fish mainly, snakes, mantids, leaf insects plus all the usual furry and feathered friends lol. My reef tanks were costing me WAY too much so gave them up about 2 years ago after over 10 years keeping and had tropical fish for 15 years before them. I'm still trying to fill the big void their absence has created :(

Fingers crossed the viv will be ready this weekend so I can get started. In the meantime I'm off to B&Q (british hardware store) for some bits and pieces. Will keep you all posted on my progress:rolleyes:

Huw

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
This is your warning.....you WILL be hooked....just a friendly warning... I am so delighted with this addiction..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes :)

I can tell I'm going to get totally hooked with these little guys. The only downside I can think of so far is the fruit flies. I bought 2 cultures and split these to make 7 so far and will start a few more this week. Trouble is the smell:( Good grief they stink. I can see them being relocated to the garrage VERY soon lol

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
406 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes :)

I can tell I'm going to get totally hooked with these little guys. The only downside I can think of so far is the fruit flies. I bought 2 cultures and split these to make 7 so far and will start a few more this week. Trouble is the smell:( Good grief they stink. I can see them being relocated to the garrage VERY soon lol
FF cultures should not stink. I keep around 25+ cultures going in my laundry room right off the kitchen. There's absolutely no smell or I'd hear about it from my wife. Must be something going wrong with your cultures.

The garage is probably too cold to keep your cultures alive. The FF like it warm and breed faster in warmer temps.

I know you're in the UK and probably buy locally, but I get my media from Josh's Frogs here in the U.S. The media smells so good that it makes me hungry when I fix up new cultures :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
The media smells so good that it makes me hungry when I fix up new cultures :)
Really? The Josh's frogs media that I'm using always makes me gag and want to hurl. :eek: Oh, well, different people have varying opinions about different things. :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FF cultures should not stink. I keep around 25+ cultures going in my laundry room right off the kitchen. There's absolutely no smell or I'd hear about it from my wife. Must be something going wrong with your cultures.

The garage is probably too cold to keep your cultures alive. The FF like it warm and breed faster in warmer temps.

I know you're in the UK and probably buy locally, but I get my media from Josh's Frogs here in the U.S. The media smells so good that it makes me hungry when I fix up new cultures :)
I followed a recipe off a mantid forum using Ready Brek (porridge oats) and apple juice. One culture moulded which is the worst offender but the others have quite a funky odour too. The newest ones I've made up with water instead of juice which is supposed to help.

When I put the cultures in the garrage they'll be in an old aquarium with a heat mat, raised off the bottom to stop the media drying out.

·
Premium Member
Cobalts, Azureus, Green & Bronze Auratus, Northern Variabilis, Leucomelas & Vanzolinis
406 Posts
Really? The Josh's frogs media that I'm using always makes me gag and want to hurl. :eek: Oh, well, different people have varying opinions about different things. :D
Frog Dude! You must hate apple pie, because that's what Josh's media smells like. Better have a doctor check out your sniffer :)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
I followed a recipe off a mantid forum using Ready Brek (porridge oats) and apple juice. One culture moulded which is the worst offender but the others have quite a funky odour too. The newest ones I've made up with water instead of juice which is supposed to help.

When I put the cultures in the garrage they'll be in an old aquarium with a heat mat, raised off the bottom to stop the media drying out.
I used oats and water when I used to make white worm cultures. The oats would begin to stink after about a week so I see your problem.

You may want to do a search for some FF media receipes here on dendroboard. Most of us use media made with potato flakes. Most receipes also call for use of a mold inhibitor. Like FrogFace mentioned, adding some cinammon will make the media have a pleasing smell.

You will want to check local suppliers to see about buying pre-made media. For us in the U.S., it's easy and not too expensive to buy media as opposed to having to make our own.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Frog Dude! You must hate apple pie, because that's what Josh's media smells like. Better have a doctor check out your sniffer :)
It's the dry media that makes me want to hurl, not the prepaired media. I never thought about that, but your right: The prepaired media does smell kinda like apple pie! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts