Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey bud, i love that orchid. I am thinking of putting an orchid in my tank. Can you give a size comparison picture (like with a quarter next to the plant)? That would be awesome, as I'm working with a 10g vert here. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey bud, i love that orchid. I am thinking of putting an orchid in my tank. Can you give a size comparison picture (like with a quarter next to the plant)? That would be awesome, as I'm working with a 10g vert here. Thanks!
I can tell you that the bloom is about 2 cm tip-to-tip. It would definitely fit in a 10g vert. The whole plant is about 3" across with 1-2" leaves.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Did we all get the same plants from Andy at the same time? LOL I'll photo mine when I get to the greenhouse. I think it opened today.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Did we all get the same plants from Andy at the same time? LOL I'll photo mine when I get to the greenhouse. I think it opened today.
hahah must have (this one got center stage in my viv), i have two other orchids from them that just pushed up spikes, should have blooms coming in a few more weeks on them:D

Mike, it looks like youve got your viv a little on the drier side compared to me, inflight what does your moss look like around the base? do you dry it out a bit? mine stay pretty moist with all the moss wrapped up on it.

(note to self pull the fuzz off of the orchid!)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Can we get an FTS and some more info on how you are keeping these, ie temps, humidity levels etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I think we got the same package ;-)

My viv is pretty wet, but not soaking. I let things dry off a bit before watering it again. I spray a couple times a day usually morning and night.

My temps are ~68-78 night-day. My humidity gauge (exoterra digital) doesnt work worth a crap and it said the humidity was 50% when the glass is all fogged up and moist jungle air hits me when I open the tank. I'd say the humidity is probably ~90%.

They are under dual 18w t5ho 6000k bulbs for a total of 36w or 1.2wpg

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I don't know why but most of my masdie type orchids shrivel up on me. I think I'm keeping them too warm.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
most of the masdies you have hate temps over 78 Ryan, and they REALLY don't like stagnant air. My offer stands to split my M. herradurae next time I see you so you can have a really viv friendly masdie

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
most of the masdies you have hate temps over 78 Ryan, and they REALLY don't like stagnant air. My offer stands to split my M. herradurae next time I see you so you can have a really viv friendly masdie
You busy this weekend?

What are the temps in your tank?
No idea Mike I have zoomed digital deal and like yours they're garbage.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Mine is in a humid greenhouse. I water it about every other day, give or take. I haven't had it very long but I am confident it will do well. Temperature ranges from around 60min and up to 85 max but not for long periods, yet.
Photo's to come...

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
draculas do better than masdies in stagnant air situations in my experience. Im workng all weekend Ryan, just lke every weekend. :( I need a day off, but I might have a weekday off next week sometime, and Im not working this friday. Im out of chem lab at 4, could grab you and head to the UW greenhouse

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
draculas do better than masdies in stagnant air situations in my experience. Im workng all weekend Ryan, just lke every weekend. :( I need a day off, but I might have a weekday off next week sometime, and Im not working this friday. Im out of chem lab at 4, could grab you and head to the UW greenhouse
I work during the weekdays until 4:30 broski. My only time off is the weekends. Although I may be quiting my job soon and going to another property. I may be able to tell them I'll give my current place 2 weeks and take a 14 day vacation. Weird, I always thought draculas were masdies.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
closely related, but not the same. I think Christina Hanson has the same experience with Draculas vs. Masdies in stagnant air sitations

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I work during the weekdays until 4:30 broski. My only time off is the weekends. Although I may be quiting my job soon and going to another property. I may be able to tell them I'll give my current place 2 weeks and take a 14 day vacation. Weird, I always thought draculas were masdies.
Draculas and masdies are both part of the Pleurothallis Alliance

1 - 20 of 37 Posts