Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they climb out pretty early and as a result are quite sensitive to drowning if not given a means of leaving the water. I've got about two hundred coming oow...

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Ok I'm still kinda confused/forgetful....are these the ones that were called blushing? Or is this just what was once a betselio...or what?

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
I think these used to be the betsileo. I think the blushings are a morph of expectata. Hopefully someone with more experience will confirm or correct me.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Ok, Blushing are red expectata, now ebenaui & betsileo are two different species, look the same, but are found in different areas, if I am not mistaken. Congrats on the ebenaui, and could you please sign me up for some? Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Ok thx for clearing that up...I think thats the 3rd time someone has had to remind me. I keep forgetting the ebenaui/betselio difference especially

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ok I'm still kinda confused/forgetful....are these the ones that were called blushing? Or is this just what was once a betselio...or what?
Dave,
the "blushings" are the redish expectata, such as the ones Doug Peel had for sale here in this ad:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/frog-classifieds/63251-red-m-expectata-near-kansas-city.html

The betsileo are kind of a grayer brown then the rich brown of the ebenaui (though this is subjective) and the betsileo has that kind of X marking on back
Mantella betsileo
Mantella ebenaui - Brown Mantella

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Steve is correct. Ebenaui and betsileo are two different populations. Both ebenaui and betsileo were originally considered one species (betsileo), but they have been split into two species based on DNA and location.

They cannot be told apart unless a DNA test is taken. Devin Edmonds told me that our "bronze mantellas" are likely ebenaui based on exporters' collection location near Nosy Be.

Taxonomy of mantellas is very confusing. The recent imports of ebenaui have had yellow heads and look a bit like red expectata, but it's unknown whether they are a different locale of ebenaui or expectata. If the "yellow head ebenaui" don't have leg coloration changes based on their mood like expectata, they're probably ebenaui. Both red expectata and standards change the coloration of the legs based on mood.

The last time I spoke with Dr. Franco Andreone, he told me that the "blushing expectata" we have are likely the expectata locale from the Isalo Massif region of Madagascar. He told me that our red expectata are genetically the same as our "standards," so they're not the newly described M. aff. expectata. Basically, red expectata are an expectata-- not a new species. Isalo Massif is where we get Scaphiophryne gottlebei.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Awsome Ray, congrats for sure. Can't wait to see more updates as they come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts