Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassaw! I might get a pair of dart frogs soon but i'm having trouble on deciding what genus to choose from. My first choice would be Phyllobates Terribilis mint if I could find some, but that would probably never happen. If i did get my hands on some, I would feel pressured to try and breed them because of their rarity. But a more suitable option for my first frogs I think would be Dendrobates Auratus turquoise and bronze. They have a longer life span and I think are a little more versatile in the area of temperature. This is an important factor considering I live on the west coast. If anyone has any more suggestions leave a reply.(y)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Welcome aboard.

I wasn't aware that the mints are more rare than other terribilis morphs.

My recommendation is to choose a species and research, research, research.

My first dart frogs were Dendrobates auratus

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard.

I wasn't aware that the mints are more rare than other terribilis morphs.

My recommendation is to choose a species and research, research, research.

My first dart frogs were Dendrobates auratus
Yep research is the most important part. And meant that Terribilis are kinda just hard to find in general right now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've noticed that the mints seem to be more available in the summer.
If you want mints you'll need to be patient. Sometimes phone calls and relationships lead to animals that you can't find.
A lot of the frog people that have them are not online 100% of the time.
the last thing is that the mints are much more sensitive to heat they don't tolerate the mid-80s as the orange will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with the other responses, reaching out to local breeders either on here, Facebook, or MeWe may lead to what you're looking for. I also tend to notice that the frog classifieds are bit slower this time of year maybe due to the colder shipping temperatures, but that could just be a personal mirage.

·
Super Moderator
3,340 Posts
I also tend to notice that the frog classifieds are bit slower this time of year maybe due to the colder shipping temperatures, but that could just be a personal mirage.
Shipping has been very problematic the whole year, basically, and this holiday reason was the worst overload in many years. There is simply too much being shipped, not enough people to move the packages, and as mentioned the typical winter weather issues on top of all that.

Reactions: chadbandman

·
Registered
260 Posts
Mints are certainly out there. They had a big boost in popularity in 2020 so a lot were swooped up. You'll likely see a bunch more being listed in the spring and on into the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts