Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the hurricane left us without power for over 48 hours. We finally got it back this evening only to find my female leuc missing. We had done what we could with the power out but our temps dropped the first night below 60. We made a few adjustments and everything was good but I was not all that concerned with getting a frog count. Today I did my normal feeding and coco check and found a nice large cluster of eggs.

This evening my husband and I came home and found our 2 smaller males heads poking up from the substrate. I figured it would be a good time to check everyone since they were in hiding for 2 days. All 3 males were easily found but no big mama...Much to my dismay my husband found her reaching for help under the false bottom. :( She was so healthy and active before we lost power; she must have squeezed in somewhere trying to get warm. My poor bachelors :/

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Sorry to hear that :(
I lost a trio of tinc froglets due to the heat here, got to like 83 inside, everything else made it luckily.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That totally sucks. Sorry for your loss. Have you covered up that and any other gaps that the others might potentially get into?

·
Registered
835 Posts
So sorry you lost your female.

Any idea how she could have possibly gotten under there? I have only built 3 tanks so far, all with false bottoms. Just trying to figure out if there is a design flaw someplace.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the first false bottom we built that included a waterfall. We made some adjustments last night and actually unplugged the waterfall. I added more to the substrate and such. We are going to build a makeshift tub and house the waterfall and all its parts in that. I am completely distraught about the whole thing and don't think I will including a false bottom in my next build. We have only had the 4 for a little over a year and they were an amazing group. :( I think it would have been a little easier to take if it wasn't my only female.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am so so sorry. Do you know if the eggs are viable?

I've always had false bottoms and I double-cover with screen, just in case.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that :(

I've started putting clay along all the seams in my tanks to help seal it off. Just roll it into a snake shape and then lay it across any seams, like between the screen and the glass. Then smash it flat to close it off. So, it goes, eggcrate, screen, then, clay sealing the screen to the glass all the way around and up and down any pond or ramp areas. Then add the substrate.

The good thing about using clay for this is that you can do it any time you notice a gap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am so so sorry. Do you know if the eggs are viable?

I've always had false bottoms and I double-cover with screen, just in case.
They seem pretty good, she had been producing a clutch every other week or so. This was her largest clutch yet...13! I think I am going to try the clay because the double screen didn't seem to help. They have been in this set up for awhile now and I haven't had any trouble. I think when my temps dropped that night they were just trying keep warm and she got into trouble.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
that is a fantastic idea, what kind of clay do you use and where can I get it?
I make low-rent clay for my vivs. It's just cheap 100% clay cat litter (no perfumes or dyes). I dry mix it with a little coco fiber and/or chopped up sphagnum moss and add water until it is maleable, like clay you would use to make a pot.

Easy and fast. :D

If you search around for 'clay' you'll find lots of threads and some recipes for fancier (probably better) clay formulas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts