Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
World Wood Art Floor Sky

its an 18x18x24 Exo terra w the drain built in this is my first foam background. Thinkingof adding some to the sides but I wanted to keep them open and use some bromeliad in the background, also have about 6 different plants ready to go in from my old viv any advice on what material to use on the foam to help the vines clime ? I was going to use a mix of some substrate basically a little extra spgagum moss and some tf or coco fiber any advice would be amazing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plant Houseplant Botany Leaf Terrestrial plant

current viv for some reference, ditching the moss floor will probably use to accent the new viv but going to go with the leaf litter and I have another bromeliad, 2 begonias and a Snow White waffle plant going in definitely want to add some nice vines

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wood Water Gas Trunk Twig

Wood Space Art Ceiling Event

little update almost done need to cover a few places of GS that’s still exposed but so far so good let me know what you guys think this is for my Green and black auratusI’m planning on using Zilla jungle mix with some added coco fiber as the substrate and already have the hydroton LECA balls for the false bottom. And top it off w leaf litter I have plants in the viv he’s in now I need to transplant any advice as far as moving plants over? Should I clean roots and remove from current viv before placing them in their new home ?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I can’t really suggest anything regarding the care of frogs, but I’d recommend you rethink your substrate idea. I think ABG, gravel, turface or something similar would be better than the jungle mix with added coco fiber. I think that mix will likely act as a sponge, not drain well and absorb or hold too much moisture.

You mentioned material to help plants vine or root into your background? When I’ve done GS + coco, I like using a mix of milled peat and coco coir. Maybe toss in some repti bark or something similar. I like the variety of textures. With that being said, I’ve had better luck with epiphytic and vining plants rooting and climbing in/on cork mosaic vs the coco + GS backgrounds. Not to say that I haven’t and any success with GS + coco. Many people love and use this background method. Cracked cork mosaic has just worked better for me.

Not meant to be gospel, just my experiences.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wouldn’t use the jungle mix, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t.

Have you checked out the “search function” yet? Try searching “gravel or ABG”. I bet you’d get a kick out of reading up on the different substrates, experiences and applications mentioned by the members.
Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn’t use the jungle mix, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t.

Have you checked out the “search function” yet? Try searching “gravel or ABG”. I bet you’d get a kick out of reading up on the different substrates, experiences and applications mentioned by the members. View attachment 307675
Thanks and yeah definitely always using the search functions just some of the results for what I’m looking for sometimes seem a little outdated I was thinking of just mixing my jungle mix w substratum but maybe I’ll just order an ABG mix instead. I am planning to have a cleanup crew in this viv so idk I either mix what I have with the substratum or just order some ABG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Natural material Artifact Art Wood Display case

Ready for the false bottom and substrate to go in super excited. Added on more piece to the right coming down also has a small hole for maybe a brom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Little update for you guys waiting on the leaf litter if anyone has any recommendations for leaf litter it would be greatly appreciated ! Also waiting on some plants to arrive couple broms etc
Plant Organism Wood Grass Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like a fun build! I got my first leaf litter at Joshs Frogs, then got some nameless stuff off Amazon. The JF was cleaner and larger pieces. I used a blend of basic leaf litter and Magnolia. The large leaves really increase the functional space. But I'm a total newbie so 🤷‍♀️

1 - 11 of 11 Posts