Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Just received my froglets today along with a melanogaster culture.
The culture is relatively new so very few flies crawling around, though tons of larvae. I’m sure the froglets were fed before they left breeder yesterday, but please tell me when/how to go about giving these guys their first meal.
I have equipment to keep culturing and I have several jars of supplements (Repashy Vit A Plus, Repashy Calcium Plus, Repashy Superpig, Herpavite, Rep-Cal Calcium with D3.)

How do I know when the culture has produced enough flies to take some out to feed my (3) froglets? When do I start a new culture? What do I dust them with and on what rotation?
I was feeling confident that I was going to follow Josh’s Frogs Mon-Wed-Fri feeding schedule with their vit rotation, but after reading thru this forum, I’m completely confused again.

I just don’t want my little guys to be hungry. What should I do?!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi all! Just received my froglets today along with a melanogaster culture.
The culture is relatively new so very few flies crawling around, though tons of larvae. I’m sure the froglets were fed before they left breeder yesterday, but please tell me when/how to go about giving these guys their first meal.
I have equipment to keep culturing and I have several jars of supplements (Repashy Vit A Plus, Repashy Calcium Plus, Repashy Superpig, Herpavite, Rep-Cal Calcium with D3.)

How do I know when the culture has produced enough flies to take some out to feed my (3) froglets? When do I start a new culture? What do I dust them with and on what rotation?
I was feeling confident that I was going to follow Josh’s Frogs Mon-Wed-Fri feeding schedule with their vit rotation, but after reading thru this forum, I’m completely confused again.

I just don’t want my little guys to be hungry. What should I do?!

Well for one thing you don't have enough flies. A single culture not producing is a bad place to be. If you have a brick and mortar store that sells flies (some petcos will - or better yet a non-chain pet store) then you should go there now and buy a few more cultures. If you don't have anywhere near you then you should buy some online right now. I would definitely check around near you first as online will take a few days to arrive.

Anyway most folks are feeding new froglets every day.

If these are your only frogs then once you have a producing culture you will be making a new culture every week and have 4 cultures going at all times (meaning 2 will be new and not producing much/at all, 1 will be booming and 1 will be in decline). You feed from the boomer and the declining culture and start new cultures from a mixture of both.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Well for one thing you don't have enough flies. A single culture not producing is a bad place to be. If you have a brick and mortar store that sells flies (some petcos will - or better yet a non-chain pet store) then you should go there now and buy a few more cultures. If you don't have anywhere near you then you should buy some online right now. I would definitely check around near you first as online will take a few days to arrive.

Anyway most folks are feeding new froglets every day.

If these are your only frogs then once you have a producing culture you will be making a new culture every week and have 4 cultures going at all times (meaning 2 will be new and not producing much/at all, 1 will be booming and 1 will be in decline). You feed from the boomer and the declining culture and start new cultures from a mixture of both.
This is good advice.
Getting this routine going well save your a ton of headaches.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think I was clear, the culture has tons of dark pupa all up the sides. Will these hatch in time to keep my froglets from starving? Called every pet store in an hour radius and none have fruit flies.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I don’t think I was clear, the culture has tons of dark pupa all up the sides. Will these hatch in time to keep my froglets from starving? Called every pet store in an hour radius and none have fruit flies.
When your frogs die for lack of food... /shrug I have no idea. Tomorrow... next week.. next month? No idea.

Your frogs are currently missing today's feeding and they will miss tomorrows as well unless I misunderstand the situation, probably the next 5 days worth of feedings as well. Then in a week or so you will have a culture capable of feeding your frogs (if it doesn't crash or get taken over by mites) for about 1 to 3 weeks depending on how the culture does.

If it were me I would go spend the 20 dollars or so from a brick and mortar store so my juvenile frogs don't have to struggle to survive in the first days/weeks of my ownership but its your tank and you are going to do what you want.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I’m an advocate of being a customer. Go to who sold you your frogs and flies. Ask them for help as it will likely be better than advice here.

Failing that, having your location might enable other people to help you figure where a store that has flies or someone who will hook you up for the time being.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received them in the mail today from Josh’s Frogs. I have no trouble going to a brick and mortar store - NOBODY HAS FRUIT FLIES IN STOCK!

I came here as a newbie looking for help. Not to be made to feel like an idiot.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I received them in the mail today from Josh’s Frogs. I have no trouble going to a brick and mortar store - NOBODY HAS FRUIT FLIES IN STOCK!

I came here as a newbie looking for help. Not to be made to feel like an idiot.

Thanks
Everybody has tried to help.

You should contact Josh's frogs, explain the situation you're in and see what they tell you to do. The culture they sent you with SHOULD have been producing flies so you wouldn't be in this situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I just want to add that in order to avoid just this very problem, I ordered FFs from NE Herp in advance, but they then notified me they are running about a week behind. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm glad you were able to find flies :).

A guy kind of local to me routinely makes extra cultures in case anyone in our province runs out of flies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a Pet Smart that swore they had melanogaster but when we got there it was a tiny vial of hydei. Ugh. Bought them. Will still need more tomorrow. So sad.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Found a Pet Smart that swore they had melanogaster but when we got there it was a tiny vial of hydei. Ugh. Bought them. Will still need more tomorrow. So sad.
Join the Facebook group poison dart froggers. Ask if there is anyone in your area that has flies they can sell you. There is a bigger population on there then this board.

·
Super Moderator
3,056 Posts
Josh's can overnight a cx to NH for $20 in shipping. If your cx is not producing by Mon, you might call them and tell them what is going on and get FFs on Tuesday for $25. Likely you'll have FFs by then, but if not this is a backup idea. Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Another option is springtails. You can use this so at the least the frogs aren't going with food. (Springtails are like candy for frogs, not what you want as the main food, but better than starvation)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts