Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
froglets dont tend to stray far from the safety and security of the water they morphed from and will generally retreat back into the water if startled. this will last for 2-4 days after which the froglet will travel down from the brom and will likely become quite reclusive. im sure youll catch glimpses of it but the best possible thing to do is continue to simply ensure that there is a healthy microfauna population in the tank and forget about the froglet. in a few short months it will be hopping around the tank like a miniature version of the adults.

congrats!

james

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was fast! Didn't you just pick that pair out in January!?

Nice job!
Yea actually you picked out the pair in January and thanks I couldn't have done it without you Jeremy, you weren't kidding when you said they were prolific the male hasn't stopped calling since I go them haha, I never did get them any bigger broms because I knew they had tads in the broms in the viv.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
froglets dont tend to stray far from the safety and security of the water they morphed from and will generally retreat back into the water if startled. this will last for 2-4 days after which the froglet will travel down from the brom and will likely become quite reclusive. im sure youll catch glimpses of it but the best possible thing to do is continue to simply ensure that there is a healthy microfauna population in the tank and forget about the froglet. in a few short months it will be hopping around the tank like a miniature version of the adults.

congrats!

james
Thanks James, I saw the lil guy walking around on some of the leaves at the top of the viv today, I think it has bee eating the springs I throw in there but Im not sure, good to know that I may not see him for a while and that they like to hide, how often do you think I should add springs to the tank? (general question not just for James, thanks everyone)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So today I went to throw some springs into the tank for my little el dorado and saw not only the original (who is gaining size quickly) but also his two sibblings. I had no idea they could raise 3 froglets all at once and especially from their first clutch of eggs, I'm very impressed, these have got to be the most prolific frogs in the hobby and they are wonderful parents :D

I'm thrilled to say the least, I'll try to get pics up soon!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That's awesome! It's funny how yours and my mancreek both produced froglets so close- I just found a batch of four in my tank within the last week so I know how great it is to keep checking and finding surprises.
Good luck with the 3+ little ones.
Bryan

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Congrats, they are awesome. I just found some new Cristobal froglets yesterday in a viv that contained a pair that I was sure included a female! Awesome surprise. When one of those little guys pops out, it sure makes all the work worhwhile.

Regarding how many springs to feed. I'm relatively new to pumilio (since last summer), and I've been told to put some springs in every day and not rely entirely on the springs reproducing in the viv. If you have enough to add a decent amount each day, the adults will pick off the extra.

I found that it's best to put ffs in first to keep the adults from getting too many of the springs. I also try to pour the springs down along the glass or in a corner to get them into the leaf litter. If they linger on top, the adults will pick them off pretty quickly and few will survive to reproduce.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts