Dendroboard banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So I have been going off this thread to try and get an idea of where the eggs are developmentally. Two of the eggs have slight dimples which I believe to be the "ridge" indicating fertility, and of those in one I can make out a tiny black swirl I believe to be a developing tad. I took some pictures to try and document the process, but don't expect a miracle from these. Lol. If I had to guess, I think these are around the 5 day mark.

The right most egg is the one I'm most confident is fertilized.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I was able to get someone with a steadier hand and better camera to take a few more pictures of the eggs. I have some petri dishes en route, to theoretically make it a little easier to see what is going on if I pull any future clutches. The leaf certainly isnt helping with being able to Make out what is going on. The coloration makes it pretty hard to tell what is going on, so I am not really expecting anyone to be able to tell much from these pictures.

Our heat was out for 12 hours the other day, so I'm a bit worried that got a little chillier than they should have but time will tell. If any are gonna hatch out, it should be within the next few days.

I've got my hands on a 12x12x20 to setup for a growout, until I have space/need for something bigger. That being said, if I am on the wrong track here please let me know. It seems like it would be reasonable for growing out offspring from one pair until they can be rehomed, but hey what do I know?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,308 Posts
Awesome, thank you for weighing in @Socratic Monologue I hope your new year is off to a great start :)
Yours too. :)

It sounds as if you're willing to do what it takes ("until I have space/need for something bigger"), so that's the important part. I don't know if R. uakarii can overrun you with offspring (my thumbs raise their own kids, which makes them less than prolific), but that size viv will be a good start for sure.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I appreciate you saying so. For now, if I need something bigger it's likely to end up being a sterlite. I do hope to let them raise tads at some point, but between all the slugs and nooks and crannies (I kinda went overboard making sure they had places to hide. You can't tell from the pics but under the "tree" are 2 cork tubes that run at a 15 degree angle, giving some nice dark hiding spots) I don't think I would even know how many/if there are babies in there.

With the growout, better visibility with maximized climbing space is what I think I should be going for. To that end, I'm looking into using clay instead of silicone for a cork mosaic look on 2 or 3 sides. Down the road, it might house another pair but I want to really get this down before I worry about expanding my collection.

·
Super Moderator
3,308 Posts
R. uakarii don't raise their own tads, unfortunately.

With the growout, better visibility with maximized climbing space is what I think I should be going for.
That sounds like the right idea to me, but @fishingguy12345 would be able to give more specifics, I think.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Apologies I didn't mean fully raising them, more just transporting tads to the water. I do know that they don't raise/lay faculative eggs. I did just realize that "tank raised froglets" doesnt mean just leaving the film cannister in there and letting them eat on drowned fruit flies and detritus though, so thank you. At the very least, I don't want to make pulling eggs my default habit especially with R. Uakariis reputation for hiding them well.

Yes, he has some pretty good insights and has humored more than a handful of my questions :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
R. uakarii don't raise their own tads, unfortunately.

That sounds like the right idea to me, but @fishingguy12345 would be able to give more specifics, I think.
My grow out for my uakarii is pretty boring, mostly flat substrate, lots of leaves, some plants for cover. I use a 12x12x12" exo Terra for my uakarii grow out.

I try to pull the eggs when I find them, my group hide their tads in odd places so I can't find them. Lol

·
Super Moderator
3,308 Posts
I had the froglets in mind when I asked -- it is not like you to build a flat viv, from what I've seen. ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts