Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made some clay substrate containing some Iron Oxides, "Calcined Aluminum" (Aluminum Oxide?), Calcium Carbonate, and some clays.

The problem is, my cat is now refusing to eat, and drink (except out of the toilet and fresh milk) and is staying out of the apartment. We are cleaning like crazy now, and ventilating the apartment.

Has anyone else had anything like this, and what did you do?

Aluminum Oxide, Iron Oxide is not particularly hazardous according to the MSDS, but it still says not to inhale it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Aluminum Oxide is a primary constituent of many soils, including clay used in kitty litter.

Iron oxide is rust. Depending on the exact chemical species and the source, the color will be different.

Both of these are used heavily in cosmetics and kitty litter.

Unless you fed it to your cat or it ate some in a very large amount, these two will not be able to cause any issues for your animal. Neither are hazardous to mammals so far as I've been able to find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a pretty good idea about the chemicals, as I am a chemist, but it seems to be the smell of the clay baking that turned her off. I was looking for support or refutation of that conclusion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts