Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years in the hobby I finally heard a call today when I was dropping flies in my oyapock tank! I've only had this group since mid-march and they've only been out of quarentine a month and a half or so, I can't even believe they are old enough to call yet! I now know there is at least 1 male, and there is one that I'm quite sure is a female who completely dwarfs the male and two unknowns.

Here's the group in mid-April (female at the front, male in the back

tried taking one with my cell phone today, the lens fogged up in about a millisecond, but even with the poor quality you can see the female, and the calling male is the one at the top with giant toe-pads :p

So I guess it's time to get the petri dish in there, cross my fingers and wait :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Split the group of 4 up into 2 groups a few days a go since they are reaching maturity, moving the 2 unknowns into a new viv. Today I spotted some courting behavior with the calling male and the large one I suspected to be female. I didn't try for a video since they were in a shaded secluded area of the tank and I didnt want to disturb them, but I'm very excited!:D

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Congrats on getting some calling from your male. It looks from the second photo there that the two unknowns are probably females. It is a very good idea to spearate the smaller ones, as it is clear that the larger female was begining to stress the smaller ones.

I'm sure you'll have some egg clutches soon!

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good looking frogs!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have been extremely active with calling and courting, I haven't found any eggs yet, though. I'm not sure if she is mature enough to be laying, or it's possible they could be laying them in one of the hiding nooks I built into the viv.

But I observe this behavior at least once a day

·
Registered
250 Posts
Very cool!! Keep posting videos. I love the fact that there are so many video's now on the board. Has anyone thought of making a new subsection just for videos... like we have for photography??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts