Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, after being a long time lurker I finally dove in and started my first build on an old 55 gallon tank I've had sitting around. I went with an egg crate false bottom cut a little short in the front and sides, then added gravel to hide the structure. I decided against a foam background due to the narrow footprint of the 55g, but tried to incorporate some wood pieces to give some height. I'm planning on adding a trio of Blue Azureus after giving the viv some time to grow in and make sure everything is stable. Let me know what you all think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'd add more leaf litter, other than that it looks good. Keep in mind that auratus can be a bit shy, and even though it may sound a bit counter intuitive you'll most likely see them more if you have more hides/shady spots.

If it was my tank I would put some black contact paper or similar on the back pane as it makes the plants pop more and and also I think it looks better than the white wall behind it. But that's just a matter of taste;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have a lot more leaf litter I'll add prior to getting the frogs. Want my moss to be more exposed to the light to hopefully get it going. Also, the horizontal log is a hollow and I'm sure they will use as a hide.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A little update after about of month of growing in and adding some more plants (more leaf litter will be added as well). I've started working on a removable background using great stuff and cork flats on egg crate, that will be held in place by rare earth magnets siliconed to the back and another on the outside of the glass. I've also added two computer fans for circulation that are blowing through openings in the lid, seeded with springtails and dwarf white isopods (and have cultures of both that seem to be doing well). Will post an update when I get the background finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a little update as the tank has grown in and the background added. I added my trio of D. Tinc Azureus from Josh's Frogs several weeks ago who seem to be doing great (they spend the majority of their time in the hollow log)! Already getting the itch to build another viv :D

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts