Dendroboard banner

First Babies - Hand Holding Commencing Now

16K views 46 replies 18 participants last post by  Judy S 
#1 ·
Yay - So my first tadpoles are showing some elbow if you know what I mean! Super Excited! First Question...

1) How long until I move them to a morph out container. I just noticed bumps where the elbows are last night. I read some people wait until they are more detached but I don't know how fast that happens and dont want to risk drowning them.

2) The morph out containers I have are 7.5"x11"x4". The pic is below. How many tads can I put in one of these? I got these boxes from the Container Store and LOVE it. Super clear and ff proof if you cover up the holes with mesh.

Okay...then to the froglet rearing container. I want to get some more of these boxes to grow up the babies because they are so clear and wonderful...(sorry, I love organizing). Anyway, they have all different sizes and I'm wondering which size you would recommend for both thumbs and eventually tincs. Also, if you could tell me how many I can put in them that would be helpful:D

7.5"x11"x4"
9"x13"x5.5"
15x13x6.75
15x13x13

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations! I am still waiting for any type of legs on my tads! I don't have any experience to advise you on your questions, but did want to say that from everything I've read, you may want to rethink putting tinc tads in a communal set-up due to the possibility of cannibalism and the growth-inhibiting hormones that they release. (Boy...was that a long run-on sentence!) So, unless you want to risk a few, you may be better off morphing out tinc tads in containers singly.

#7 ·
I can't find a picture of it right now, but what I usually do is just put something under one end of the container so that it is tilted enough to have a dry area. On this area I put wet/moist sphagnum moss and a leaf or two (or anything they can hide under). This will allow them to climb out of the water and not have to cling to the sides of the container.

#10 ·
First, a comment on cannibalism. Vents are very cannibalistic so tads should be raised separately. Pretty sure you are doing that. I choose to have each tad morph out in his own enclosure. After morphing I continue to raise each one separately until I am sure they are eating well and well-started. At least a couple weeks. From there I have used plastic shoeboxes, two froglets per. I think this time around I may go with communal 10 gallon vivs with maybe 6 or 8 froglets per.
Doug

#11 ·
Thanks Doug! I am raising the tads individually but I thought i read that people put them together when they are ready to morph because their mouths are changing??? But I can do it individually just in case. What do you use for the first few weeks while they are growing individually and absorbing their tail??

#12 ·
Some people do, but I have heard instances where one morphing froglet has drowned another. Possibly just by accident. They are becoming a different animal at this stage and are rather clumsy, just getting used to legs for the first time. One of them manages to climb out of the water at the expense of standing on his brothers head... So I do individually as a precaution.
Great time to ask though. If anyone remembers my post about getting free Varadero froglets to pay off an old debt, one of the tads I was given is ready for a new home today. So here are pics for you, Kaity. First three show him in his morphing container. Next three show the new home we prepared for his first few weeks or so. (Deli meat container and plastic shoebox with a glass lid)
Doug

Attachments

Reactions: Kaity
#16 ·
I don't have amazonicus but I have imis---here's what I do.
They can be put in water together after their legs have all popped out and at that point they are generally not cannibalistic. However, they seem to do better singly.

I just put a piece of driftwood in their container when at the stage you are at, and I feed heavily from the point the front legs form until they pop out as I feel the frog is gaining/growing rapidly at this time. Once the front legs pop, cease food sources, drop off water level to low and put in a climbing help like a stick.

#14 ·
Well, yes and no. My entire frog room is an incubator in a way. I have shut off the heat from the house to the frog room. I have put styrofoam over the windows. I have a Lowes oil filled electric radiator heater that is temperature controlled by a Ranco Electronic Temperature Control unit. A small 8" personal fan circulates the air. This keeps the room between 72 to 74 degrees, (or whatever I feel like setting it at).
Doug

#18 ·
So finally one of these guys had a front leg pop out! Only one though. Do I move him to the morphing container now or wait until both front legs come out? how long after both front legs pop is there a danger of drowning??

#20 ·
Wait till the other leg pops. Even then, he'll spend at least a few days in the water. The elbows look good and strong (not like spindly), I'm sure it will pop within about a day.
Doug

Reactions: Kaity
#21 ·
So the other leg is starting to pop out too!! hurray! I'm glad his legs look good so far as I was dreading SLS... Once both his legs are fully out do I stop feeding him then or after he emerges onto land??

#22 ·
As soon as their first front leg pops, They can no longer eat anything until the tail is fully absorbed. The tail, and whatever fat reserves they may have, becomes their only nutrition till the tail is gone. At that time, you're going to want to have springtails and melonos on hand. Most of my Red Amazonicus morphed out big enough to take flies from day one, but having springs around is good for any smaller froggies and also just for a second source of nutrition.
Doug

#23 · (Edited)
2) The morph out containers I have are 7.5"x11"x4". The pic is below. How many tads can I put in one of these? I got these boxes from the Container Store and LOVE it. Super clear and ff proof if you cover up the holes with mesh.

7.5"x11"x4"
9"x13"x5.5"
15x13x6.75
15x13x13[/QUOTE]

Hi, wondering what these boxes are called, checked out the container website but unable to find these boxes? Thanks, Jon

#25 ·
Jon...here is the link to the boxes. I really like them. I actually asked for them for christmas after reading how Chris uses them. Unfortunately they bought me the women's shoe size box not the mens but I think I will just have to put less frogs in each. I'm thinking 2 or 3?

The Container Store > Large Shoe Boxes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.