Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds crazy, but I have considered using actual firewood in my vivariums to create a naturalistic log look along the walls. Obviously, none of that artificial, ground wood stuff that is remade into logs is going to work. I know pine is potentially dangerous. I have read that if one soaks a piece of driftwood in saltwater, it will leach out all of the toxins. Thought I might wanna give it a try, as cork is rather expensive for big tanks, and floats pretty easily.

Got any ideas?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Get you'reself a canoe or kayak, a small hand saw, pick a scenic river to paddle, and collect super cool driftwood while taking in great scenery and fresh air! Really, you should see some of the stuff in my garage!
Don't really know much about treating wood with salt. One thing you must consider is what would be more harsh to the frogs, unknown, possibly non-existent toxins and pathogens, or leftover salt? If I was really worried about parasites, I would put the piece in the oven for a while, or if it was small enough, a pressure cooker.
If it is chemical toxins you worry about, choose a different wood or wood collection site.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Considering my friend is the grandson of the owner of my local nursery, I am able to ask them in depth questions. Apparently, the firewood is hickory and Oak. I need to ask if its treated to burn better, but I pretty much doubt it. I have used oak and sycamore before as logs and drift wood for a long time.

I am experimenting with concrete, and I am blown away with how realistic it is, and how moldable. MUCH more realistic than smearing silicone and coco fiber onto great Stuff. The problem though, is that it can be a little crumbly. This is where the pH problem begins. I am definitely considering clear epoxy, but I gotta find some way to take the shine off of it. I don't know if sand paper or steel wool will do the job to rough it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts