Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been in the amphibian "business" for quite some time, and a lot of friends of mine(I have used them on and off for newts and sals) use FireBrats. I like them as food prey, and know my Tincs would eat them. My question is are they a good source of nutrition? Not that I would swap feedings of FFs with these, but if I were to introduce some FBs once in a while into the viv, I'd like to know what they "bring to the table" as far as nutritional benefits. Would they pose a threat to the frogs if used in a "seeding" fashion?

Thanks in advance!

JBear

·
Registered
568 Posts
They require temps. That are too high for frogs. Im pretty sure firebrats like temps in the 90's to breed. I don't think you could seed firebrats without specifically making a refugium designed for them.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aside from seeding them, would they be a suitable varient in a captive Dart Frog's diet? Is anyone using them who can share some experiences with me?

Thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
91 Posts
We have used them before over here, where they are a somewhat common feeder insect. I am sure nutritionally they are fine although i dont know any specifics.

I feel they are too much trouble though, since you need a heated area at 90-105 for them to breed, and even then they are not really explosive breeders.
But sure, if you have the resources i think they are a great addition to a frog diet.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
I was unable to locate even a basic analysis of them.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just for the record, I would LOVE to get a hold of some of these to try out as well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
A friend has these, but has found them too fast to feed to dart frogs. By the time the frog says to himself "Oooo... look at that", they're gone.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought that they would hide in the leaf litter and be consumed sporatically as they present themselves much in the same manner as Springtails. I will give them a go, and let you all know the result.

Thanks for all the input! You all MAKE this community great!

JBear

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone been able to locate firebrats for sale in the US? I would love to pick some up but would like to avoid doubleds due to their insane shipping fees. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts