Dendroboard banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
very nice setup. I like it a lot!
thank you.

oh no more update pics just to show how the plant and moss has grown since last post and some upclose shots:

this for me is the best part of the build, just a simple ledge added which gives off the nice relaxing sound of running water and does the task of agitating and oxygenating the pool.

now we're getting to the (possible) breeding time i am going to leave the pool with algae now for a natural food source for any taddies i keep.

here we have a spurt from the new plants that are growing nicely from the moss carpet and how the moss is starting to spread on the branch.

a shot of the bank!!

if you are interested in any build notes about this project i will provide the link here:

Fire belly toad terrarium project 1 pictures by s6t6nic6l - Photobucket

i also have an album too of the toads themselves from babies to present day for anyone who cares to look thru, but be warned, there are a lot of 'em......

fire belly toads pictures by s6t6nic6l - Photobucket

thanks for looking

nic

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
UPDATE PICS:

WINTER LIGHTING: considering this growth has come on by way of the low level and time of lighting used for the winter period it could well become more lush as i am now going to use more intensity and longer daytime hours of lighting now as we are into the summer mode for the abode.

the branches, vines and even the wall are used for clambering about on and provide useful exercise for the toads when hunting their prey.

MOSS UPDATE: the moss carpet has been established in the abode now for exactly a year and showing signs of flourishing well. the independent growth on the branch is spreading too. the introduced plants from the moss just keep growing and will be interesting to see to what size these get to.

FTS: latest full tank shot showing all the algae, anubias, ivy and plants from the moss growth. longer hours and brighter lighting implemented (summertime)

Thanks for looking

nic

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
UPDATE:LIGHT BOX. the lighting above the abode has been by the way of using an exo terra compact light(x3)canopy. the width of this is wasted due to the meshed sides of the lid but the main issue is not been able to control each of the bulbs incorporated into the canopy as there is only the one mains lead built in, so you either have all bulbs going by way of a timer or it's up to you to keep switching on/off each day. simple wooden box made to rectify my needs for the lighting regime i want to give the abode.

black painted, diamond reflector sheet used, ceramic bulb holders screwed in place, holes drilled for the wiring and a vent hole used to dissipate any excess heat given off. now all the lighting can be spread around the abode by using a small window area in the lid. all the lights are used independently by way of timers and can be set at any intervals needed. through the day we use little to bright lighting(1 to 3 bulbs), all U.V. used A + B, then it is a reverse role.

IN SITU: light box connected to said timers with all lights glowing. now the sides and all the back of the abode gets a good dose of light at one stage or another for the plants, moss and algae to benefit from.

FTS update#2: the ferns seem to be liking the new lighting regime.

FTS#2:

TOADS:

Thanks for looking

nic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know of any good literature on the changing colors of FBT? I have 3. Two of them stay darker colored while the other varies from a bright green to a darker green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
the toads colours vary considerably depending on locality. then you have the mood their in throughout the day, as stated, when they will change appearance that befits them.
your enclosure will be a benefactor in all this too!

ok. some video clips showing the "ROCK ENCLAVE" seeing as the other has gone due to name change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Flk-bRqSBs (5 min tour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFmlD5Vkom4 (quick look, weathered)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks really great, and is the exact opposite of my FB viv. It started out as a planted tank, so my land areas are Spartan, but the water is "heavily" planted.

One thing I would recommend is getting some more plants into the water, especially floating ones. Mine absolutely love to tangle themselves up in the floating vegetation in an ambush position. I have less issues with crickets drowning this way as well.

Beautiful job!

Scott

·
Registered
391 Posts
Very nice. Throw some mollies in the water. Maybe 1 or 2. Give the water some action lol

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Looks really great, and is the exact opposite of my FB viv. It started out as a planted tank, so my land areas are Spartan, but the water is "heavily" planted.

One thing I would recommend is getting some more plants into the water, especially floating ones. Mine absolutely love to tangle themselves up in the floating vegetation in an ambush position. I have less issues with crickets drowning this way as well.

Beautiful job!

Scott
the anubias plant in there is ideal itself I find for the toads. they spend most of the time on land but when they decide to go water bound a lot of the time is spent half submerged on the bank or and can rest on the leaf of the anubias and one always uses it like a cover whilst resting underneath for some reason. crickets get thrown on land and it is very rare for any to drown in the pool due to all the easy access out of the water everywhere be it the bank, vines and wall they can climb onto. the toads keep active through the hunting they do on land.
personally I wouldn't put these toads in an all aquatic setup, I feel that would deprive them of a more natural 'scape to utilise.

thanks for the approval.

·
Registered
206 Posts
the anubias plant in there is ideal itself I find for the toads. they spend most of the time on land but when they decide to go water bound a lot of the time is spent half submerged on the bank or and can rest on the leaf of the anubias and one always uses it like a cover whilst resting underneath for some reason. crickets get thrown on land and it is very rare for any to drown in the pool due to all the easy access out of the water everywhere be it the bank, vines and wall they can climb onto. the toads keep active through the hunting they do on land.
personally I wouldn't put these toads in an all aquatic setup, I feel that would deprive them of a more natural 'scape to utilise.

thanks for the approval.
You are welcome.

Just to be clear mine are not in an all aquatic setup. I just meant that my tank has more dense aquatic plantings than yours.

I would also point out that deeper, less planted water can make semi aquatic frogs and toads nervous. Mine also used to spend most of thier time on the land areas until I moved them into thier current home. Since the move, thier preferred habitat is tangled amongst the floating plants with thier heads above the water.

Just some food for thought. Your toads current preference to be on the land might be more of a consequence of your particular setup than a fully natural behavior.....

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
the all aquatic reference was due to the fact that most setups you see on forums etc seem to be mostly water based. the design of mine was for the purpose that each toad's demeanor means it can please itself for terrain preference. reading other toad owners saying that their toads like the water, then others the land more, helped me decide on this type of habitat.
plus the benefits that the land area provides too, which is detailed in the build log, greatly persuaded me to provide this layout.

good luck with the latest setup

nic

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very nice, I have 3 FBT's and they have a 50/50 water land set up as well, I regularly see all 3 on the land and in the water ...they are definitely a messy frog lol and not the most graceful of hunters either! I wanna say I read somewhere that they are a primitive species lol their "bark" drives my wife crazy and it seems to be day and night with no preferences and little care for ypur sleep habits ;)

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Very nice, I have 3 FBT's and they have a 50/50 water land set up as well, I regularly see all 3 on the land and in the water ...they are definitely a messy frog lol and not the most graceful of hunters either! I wanna say I read somewhere that they are a primitive species lol their "bark" drives my wife crazy and it seems to be day and night with no preferences and little care for ypur sleep habits ;)
thank you.
glad your toads utilise the habitat provided.
being messy was another factor in the layout/décor used in the build. one note I can make is I never once had to clean/maintain the land area due to ..... ;)
yeah they "bark" whenever they please although pleasant in some ways, esp' as they ain't in the bedroom:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
thank you.
glad your toads utilise the habitat provided.
being messy was another factor in the layout/décor used in the build. one note I can make is I never once had to clean/maintain the land area due to ..... ;)
yeah they "bark" whenever they please although pleasant in some ways, esp' as they ain't in the bedroom:)
mine are in a tank just to the right of my computer monitor in my frog room, its my ever shrinking home office lol frogs/tanks grow ...office shrinks lol I think my female is pregnant though, I took this yesterday
either ready to pop or ate the other two's dinner for them

21 - 38 of 38 Posts