Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi. my first post here to showcase my OFBT's abode.

seems toads are getting a raw deal here so i'll give them a heads up :)

i did not make an actual construction build log so i'll give you the basics.
materials used: celotex, foam filler, grout, pond paint plus the usual sealants etc
now for the plan (don't laugh) and latter stages of the build.

so after glass divider, rocks, pool area and land with drainage built, the grout and paint applied, it was left to dry. then hydroton, mat spreader, earth, moss, branches and stones were placed.

plants and water test. (2 week trial) first piece of fascia placed.

the best rock effect colour pic

the lighting is a 60w dayglo for 8hrs thru a part meshed lid so i don't suffer with condensation issues. as seen all lighting is automated with timers. second timer is for my night viewing. more fascia placed.

water feature installed and anubias plants for the pool

night light installed

night viewing (til midnight)

hood frame built, fascia 99.9% complete (needs touch up)
now pics of the inhabitants

already planning the escape route!!!

thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Nice, I like it! That background and ramp into water looks great! I'd like to make something like that someimte. I likst what you did to hide all the dirt and stuff to. Very nice! :)

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice, I like it! That background and ramp into water looks great! I'd like to make something like that someimte. I likst what you did to hide all the dirt and stuff to. Very nice! :)
thank you. see below.

I love this! Now I want some fire belly toads :D
thank you. quite active toads through the day these

Awesome build :)
what size tank is that?
thank you. the tank is only 30 x 12 x 18"

they have a reputation as being messy so: the sloping bank by building up layers of the foam. the rocks come down to same level as pool wall. the substrate placed and left 2 inch short up the pool wall. pre-packed moss layed and stones place around terrain and, again, along the pool wall. this all helped to prevent substrate being dragged into the pool. the drainage system helped with the reverse effect of when water was brought out of the pool onto land. this was further improved later by introducing a carpet of live moss from the woods
and with the size of tank used: not wanting to lose any land area for hides being placed around, they get the shelter from three ways: the cave "A" by the branch arch and substrate scraped away and the rock overhang "B" of which 3 are along the back and the larger built on the side to give shelter from the basking light. one favourite spot is under the branch/pool wall "C". the pool & bank is designed to let them swim, rest at any level in the water and to easily emerge from the pool. anubias plants also in the pool for them to rest on to.

thanks again

p.s. please enlarge image(s) for more detail plus a 1 minute video of setup here:
Fire belly toad terrarium project 1 :: toads home video8 video by s6t6nic6l - Photobucket

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the water filtered?
no but, i siphon out the pool then wipe down water area and replenish with purified water i store for them and my chams needs. i do this weekly and takes me 10 mins to do :). this is because of the toxin build up in the water and i prefer them to have fresh clean water in their habitat. NOTE: it is like a greasy substance when it builds up and makes the "banks" slippery too and is a reason why i don't keep fish with these also.

cheers

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:( photobucket: pics will be deleted here after my re-arrangement of albums, images, etc, so to save time will post a slideshow link of build
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket :rolleyes:

plus my toad pics (beware 27 of) Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket :)

cheers
well i obviously don't know what i'm going on about there then LOL

anyhow some may have seen this already but i have now introduced a new rock look and more water volume for the pool area with a little added feature to the waterfall.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

plants for the pool and land yet to be placed and will be running and replacing water for 2 weeks before reinstating the toads.

or you may just like to see the finished setup (not HD quality i'm afraid) here:

Fire belly toad terrarium project 1 :: Toads home video4 video by s6t6nic6l - Photobucket

if you have nothing to better to do :rolleyes: and watch the slideshow (select slow if interested in build) please give your verdict on the rock replacement!!!.

thanks for looking (again) ;)

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pics

some pics of the setup more or less completed:

will post pics when established with plants and when the toads come back home :)

thanks

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
a viv tour

3 months on: the moss first waned a bit after being introduced but seems to have acclimatized now. the plants are doing well though with new petals growing and the ivy throwing plenty of feelers out and now training them around the vine and rocks. the anubias plant is also thriving well with new leaves and roots growing fast. i lessened the amount of purification through the ion exchanger to leave more minerals for the plants and toads benefit and all's well at the moment. algae forming at the cascade. this may stay brown due to unfavourable lighting but will improve with blind fitting to windows and light directed at tank. said lighting is efficient for the toads and type of plants as i don't want a to bright scenario for them. using a 2.0 cf for light and u.v. purposes. they are not always exposed to even that degree sometimes because depending of food given i.e. locust, there is a glass lid used. (you probably know why i don't need a lid with crickets ). plus there is more than enough shade for them to utilise. the toads themselves are very bright and have healthy appetites too. so to the tour: please select 720p setting and expand coz it's in HD, apologies but outta focus before closing into toad#1.
blue light reflecting in the pool is from the moonlight LED that was ready for the night viewing i have for "us" too.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PIC UPDATE#3:

the anubias now. so the water and light conditions seem to be ideal at the moment for this plant. green algae now on the rock wall and pool bank giving a more natural look still further to the "enclave".

green algae now grows all over the cascade area including the vine rising from the pool that gets splashed on. the pool wall and floor also as a green hue now which gives it a nice look. so we're at the stage where the pool section is getting the weathered look.

pic showing the pool bank with the nice green algae growing along there. this exposed area of the moss carpet is doing well with the light and frequent misting of rainwater it gets. new type of plant growth from the moss is a nice surprise too. if you look closely at the wood in the middle of the pic you can see moss growing on there too now which i assume is spores from the moss that must be acclimatizing well to the conditions here.

nic

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
after seeing that ive got do a little better for my toads wow :eek:
as long as your toads are set up in a decent enviroment that is all that matters. what you see here is just aesthetics in the right enviroment, one hopes ;) and thanks.

Did I miss a post...? How did you make the rock? It looks very realistically shaped.

Jake
yep the first one LOL. they were made by cutting out of celotex and carving to desired shape, then stuck on back of tank. obvs with coats of grout/paints/sealant. thanks for the approval of the "rocks"

ok some pics of the toads now:

***PLEASE ENLARGE THIS PIC***

thanks for looking

nic

1 - 20 of 38 Posts