Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to start over, there is a lot I would do differently and will probably make changes... but here are the basics:

I converted my 125g reef aquarium into this vivarium. I made a 4" high false bottom, great stuff and peatmoss/titebond III mix for the background and some rigid foam to make the water feature. Here are some photos:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Very nice! I had the exact same size tank and did pretty much the same design you did. This was about 5 years ago now. Mine used to mold up often so make sure you have some good air flow from side to side. My vote is to brom it out.
Jason

·
Registered
430 Posts
How did you like titebondIII method? That is the one I like most too:)
Nice huge tank... It makes me wanna work on my living room display tank:) 3x2x2 only but still good enough:p

No leaf litter?!

I like that moon light!
Good job!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks, would you recommend using a small fan to circulate the air? The glass tops leave about 2 inches of open air which I plan to cover in some sort of a fine screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MOAR leaf litter and plants :)
haha ya, I haven't added the leaf litter yet. I probably won't get the frogs until after I take a vacation in Dec, so I'm not in a huge hurry. Then again, I am kind of impatient ;)

The titebond method worked pretty well. Kind of wish I could have gotten finer peat moss for it.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Hey thanks, would you recommend using a small fan to circulate the air? The glass tops leave about 2 inches of open air which I plan to cover in some sort of a fine screen.
nah you wanna try to keep it sealed...
a fan system would be best but if you done have one you might wanna drill some holes for ventilation maybe.
with a tank that big I myself would put a circulation system in there.

also from what I,ve seen people say.....the bromeliad might rot being straight in the soil.
what kinds of lights are you using and how are you misting?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nah you wanna try to keep it sealed...
a fan system would be best but if you done have one you might wanna drill some holes for ventilation maybe.
with a tank that big I myself would put a circulation system in there.

also from what I,ve seen people say.....the bromeliad might rot being straight in the soil.
what kinds of lights are you using and how are you misting?
I've read that the broms might rot in moist soil too. Is there a way to put it in the soil surrounded by something? perhaps rocks?

Right now I'm just misting using a hand spray bottle. I'm looking into a possible misting system.

The lighting was from my reef tank. it's 4x96 power compacts. Two of which are 10000k and two are actinic and then it's also got 6 LED moonlights all on timers.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I've read that the broms might rot in moist soil too. Is there a way to put it in the soil surrounded by something? perhaps rocks?

Right now I'm just misting using a hand spray bottle. I'm looking into a possible misting system.

The lighting was from my reef tank. it's 4x96 power compacts. Two of which are 10000k and two are actinic and then it's also got 6 LED moonlights all on timers.
yeah I'd say surrounding the roots with aquarium gravel would keep it from rotting. It would keep the moist tool away from the roots
Although if you don't have a false bottom idk...cause there would be no where for the water to drain past the gravel

·
Registered
835 Posts
Beautiful tank ! I second more plants and leaf litter.

I do like that the tank is broken in to left, right and center zones, or at least appears to be.

Very cool.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah I'd say surrounding the roots with aquarium gravel would keep it from rotting. It would keep the moist tool away from the roots
Although if you don't have a false bottom idk...cause there would be no where for the water to drain past the gravel
Oh there is a false bottom. Hard to see it in the pictures because I painted the bottom 5" of the tank black to cover it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need to spend more money.LOL Nice setup.
haha thanks, like I said, a lot of this was leftover from my reef tank (tank, stand, lights, pump etc..) I didn't think I'd get much money trying to sell those parts, so here I am haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts