Dendroboard banner

finished first viv, a problem with the water feature

801 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  FoxHound 
#1 ·
Hi Guy's,

I have basically completed my first viv, it is a 55 gal. tank. I used GS and attached dried Peat to it with Trubond II.
Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium decor Plant Aquatic plant

I incorporated a drip wall over a mayan face that I made from Styrofoam that was coated with a product called "Durams rock hard water putty" it is a powder that mixes to a paste that dries to a light sort of grout material, it is supposed to be waterproof.

The problem I am having is the water runs slowly down the statue face and into a small pool that I put at the base of the face, it touches the face and the surrounding BG and peat.

It has been running for 2 days and the water has turned a light shade of yellow and also the face were the water is hitting has begun to discolor.
Pebble Rock Water Gravel Watercourse

Tree Portrait Art Illustration Painting

I have shut down the water pump and can not figure out what is fowling the water, the Trubond or the Duram.

I am attaching pics if anyone can shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it I would hate to have to fill in the water feature it looks great when running.

Bruce

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for your help!

I figured out what the culprit was, I had used brown silicone to make vines on the statue face and to seal the bottom of the water feature. When I went in to investigate the silicone was mushy and left a residue on my fingers.

I did not want to take a chance on ruining the whole viv so I just removed the water pump and filled in the pool with soil, my viv no longer contains a water feature

Well experience is the best teacher, I will know better next time!!

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.