Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot seem to get these guys to breed! I have 2 calling males and I bought a "proven female" last year in June...Anyone have any tips on getting these to breed? Ive got some large bromeliads in the viv, a few petri dishes, This week Ive been feeding super heavy, got the males to start calling again but the female seems completely uninterested. Any help tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I cannot seem to get these guys to breed! I have 2 calling males and I bought a "proven female" last year in June...Anyone have any tips on getting these to breed? Ive got some large bromeliads in the viv, a few petri dishes, This week Ive been feeding super heavy, got the males to start calling again but the female seems completely uninterested. Any help tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have had my F/S leuc pair lay twice recently. Now the male calls and the female has no interest what so ever in the male. I'm going back and trying to think what I did...

They laid both times in the coco hut and I was misting/feeding heavy, I'm attempting to do less frequent mistings/feedings for a bit and then go back to heavy to see if I can spark it back up.

When I play calls outside the viv, it peaks the females attention for a bit, but then gets destracted...and my male starts calling a few times. I've heard it is difficult to get F/S leucs to breed, I'm just happy I have 5 F/S tads in the water :D

I have another "pair" i think next to them, but need to find another proven male to spark them up...but that is another story !

Best of luck !

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats Brian!

Yeah, I'm gonna mist 3 times a day for a week see if thats jumpstarts anything. Weird thing is happening now, a few years ago when i had only 2 males I had seen them both call, but for a good 2 years now I could only get the one to call, by playing calls outside the tank, but now the OTHER one who hadn't called for years is now calling, and the one that always called before won't call NOW. Im really hoping the increased misting get em going!!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Good luck! My leucs are still on winter shutdown. I remember your fine spots...GORGEOUS FROGS

·
Registered
70 Posts
one of my former biology professors has several yrs experience of breeding darts... and he has told me a few times that his leucs have always been sporadic with breeding...his would always do better in the summer, and he said sometimes he would get eggs when a strong thunderstorm front would move through and the frogs picked up on the changes in the barometric pressure.
im just beginning with darts, but i do trust his opinion, so sounds to me like leucs can just be a little more unpredictable than tincs and other species?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
one of my former biology professors has several yrs experience of breeding darts... and he has told me a few times that his leucs have always been sporadic with breeding...his would always do better in the summer, and he said sometimes he would get eggs when a strong thunderstorm front would move through and the frogs picked up on the changes in the barometric pressure.
im just beginning with darts, but i do trust his opinion, so sounds to me like leucs can just be a little more unpredictable than tincs and other species?
They are seasonal breeders. Feed well daily and mist the crap out of them right before a storm. Provide black flimcans also.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've never had fine spot leucs, but my leucs are pretty sporadic as well. Heavy misting/feeding gets them calling, but it's usually a few weeks between calling/egg laying. And as some have pointed out, barometric pressure changes always seem to help. It's only another month away from the beginning of "storm season" here in the midwest! Can't wait!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
They seem like sporadic breeders I agree. I was surprised to get my first clutches the first week of January !

Good advise on barometric pressure. I have not tried that, but curious to see how the effects work first hand.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My mom has had her Leuc pair for a few years now. The first clutch they laid went bad. About 6 months later, another batch of eggs. These were good. She pulled them and raised the tads herself. The Leucs have not bred since. I would imagine it has been a full year since eggs were laid. I think her biggest issue is supplementation. She never uses a Vit A supp, just CAl and MultiVit. I think perhaps this has compromised the breeding results a bit.

JBear

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My mom has had her Leuc pair for a few years now. The first clutch they laid went bad. About 6 months later, another batch of eggs. These were good. She pulled them and raised the tads herself. The Leucs have not bred since. I would imagine it has been a full year since eggs were laid. I think her biggest issue is supplementation. She never uses a Vit A supp, just CAl and MultiVit. I think perhaps this has compromised the breeding results a bit.

JBear
Vitamin A powder has just been out awhile, we all have bred tons of frogs before, without it, but it does help I suppose. Keeping new supplements does help.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Vitamin A powder has just been out awhile, we all have bred tons of frogs before, without it, but it does help I suppose. Keeping new supplements does help.
Perhaps there is a better explanation. I appreciate you pointing that out! I just saw everyone talking about the sporadic breeding nature of this species, and thought I may contribute. Maybe the females are a bit slutty(lol), and prefer multiple males to choose from???

JBear

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Perhaps there is a better explanation. I appreciate you pointing that out! I just saw everyone talking about the sporadic breeding nature of this species, and thought I may contribute. Maybe the females are a bit slutty(lol), and prefer multiple males to choose from???
JBear
I have wanted to test that theory, but I've only heard calling from my 1 male...I need another calling male !

When I play calls from wild leucs, it peaks the females interest, then my male starts calling(although still needs fine tuning) and the female shows little interest in him...hmm

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heres a quick video i got today...the first call is me doing outside calls,....and a photo i took with my iPhone yesterday not too shabby for a phone :)

sorry about the music...my girlfriend was getting ready, and had her Pandora on the bose in the living room

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Nice Video. I love the patterns and calls of these guys. That is a really good photo. My iphone4s takes pretty good pictures, almost better than my actual camera haha !

What are your temps like? I think my male calls more when it is warmer (75-77), although I can get him to call by playing sounds outside the tank like you did on your video. There is a really good video I play for mine and my male goes bonkers, but I'll have to find it for you...Hopefully they will breed for you soon ! I plan to keep an eye on this thread !

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I should add that both clutches were laid in the leaf litter on the viv floor. They had a coco-hut, and vining plants also as egg deposition sites. They were not breeding for her until I instructed her to add a small water receptacle(in view of the hut). After that, they bred twice. However, they were never interested in the hut, and still do not go in it. The reason I point this out is that perhaps if one deposition site is not working/favored, perhaps you should offer different alternatives.

JBear

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Havent checked the temp but I added another small 18" light above their tank in hopes of warming it up a bit. I mean as far as egg laying sites go they haves a ridiculous amount, the one bromeliad has at least 7-8 spots that would be perfect for egg laying...2 petri dished, one under a coco hut, and one just on the floor with leaf litter scattered all around it. They all seem to be responding to the heavy misting and feeding. lots of breeding going on in the frogroom today though BYH Matecho, and Yellowbacks are breeding today...Giant Orange are courting on and off today

·
Registered
835 Posts
I recieved a trio of Leucs, 2.1 that were 9-12 months old when i got them a couple of months ago. They laid one good clutch about 2-3 weeks in with me which i pulled and have tads from, and another clutch which I found to late in the tank and molded over. Ever since then about a month or so no more laying, both males are calling almost every day. I think its because of the colder weather here, when they were laying it was in the high 70's.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Look at where leucomelas occur in the wild, and the seasonal changes they are exposed to. By nature, they respond very well to seasonal changes in humidity and temperature. Wait until your average temperatures start increasing and you have a storm front blowing in. When this happens, increase misting drastically, and I'd be surprised if you don't have eggs within a week.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool thank you guys! We aren't suppose to get any snow for about 10 days lol...I guess ill be keeping and eye in the weather in March. btw just did a temp and humidity test 74.8, and humidity keeps rising slowly...right now at 85%

1 - 20 of 47 Posts