Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finally cut the cork barks, siliconed it to the glass, and filled the spaces between with great stuff.

i was initially going to silicone on the substrate you see in the photo below, but am wondering if that's the best 'look' i can accomplish..

i got some abg mix, more like brand new i was planning to return but if i can use it to help fill in the yellow great stuff foams... that'll be great

anyone got any tips on how i can do that without using silicone?

oh and... i didn't plan to make it about my tank but.. any suggestions or comments on my wall set up is welcome too.. :D

·
Registered
552 Posts
You're talking about what to cover the GS with, right? Most people do brown or black silicone with peat or coco coir pressed into it. This gives a pretty natural look in my opinion and gets over grown with plants pretty easily.

There's also clay, but you'll need to carve down the foam a little to give the clay a rough surface to stick to.

Oh, there's also a cement/grout method, but that's pretty maintenance intensive as far as curing it appropriately so it's not harmful to the frogs.

Quite a few other options as well. But I'd say the most common with where you're at now is silicone covered in coco.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm maybe I will look into the peat and coco mix?
Do I have to use peat? I don't have any available install quantities.. Maybe I'll mix it with my abg mix :D

Thanks and what do u think of the wall?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like it. I actually like that it doesn't go all the way to the top. It seems like it may be a convenient place to mount some plants.

You can stick pretty much anything you want to the background with silicone. You don't have to use peat at all, going just coco is fine. Make sure whatever you're going to be sticking up there with silicone is bone dry though. Silicone doesn't stick well to anything moist.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like it. I actually like that it doesn't go all the way to the top. It seems like it may be a convenient place to mount some plants.

You can stick pretty much anything you want to the background with silicone. You don't have to use peat at all, going just coco is fine. Make sure whatever you're going to be sticking up there with silicone is bone dry though. Silicone doesn't stick well to anything moist.

Keep us updated!
hey thanks for your help! and yea, i dont know if you can tell but i cut out the top parts of the GS filled part to potentially grow some plants.. nothing that requires heavy rooting, probably more or less mosses. :D

also, i was thinking about using this:

Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate at PETCO

the expandable coco fiber? although... it needs to be soaked in water and to your point, silicone doesn't stick well to wet surfaces.. -_-

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
hey thanks for your help! and yea, i dont know if you can tell but i cut out the top parts of the GS filled part to potentially grow some plants.. nothing that requires heavy rooting, probably more or less mosses. :D

also, i was thinking about using this:

Zoo Med Eco Earth Compressed Coconut Fiber Expandable Substrate at PETCO

the expandable coco fiber? although... it needs to be soaked in water and to your point, silicone doesn't stick well to wet surfaces.. -_-
You should have brought the bag or go to home depot and get a bag of mircale grow spaghnum peat moss. Its cheaper than using a pet store substrate. A moist/wet substance is'nt going to take to the silicone too well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have brought the bag or go to home depot and get a bag of mircale grow spaghnum peat moss. Its cheaper than using a pet store substrate. A moist/wet substance is'nt going to take to the silicone too well.
yea.. i think im gonna get some cork/bark pieces and individually silicone them on. it'll be more work but i think it'll be more rewarding :D

Zilla Douglas Fir Bark Reptile Bedding at PETCO

this is what im thinking of now

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can use the coco bricks that you add water to if you want, a lot of people do, but you just have to dry it out first.

I think some people spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven on low for a bit but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You can use the coco bricks that you add water to if you want, a lot of people do, but you just have to dry it out first.

I think some people spread it on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven on low for a bit but I haven't tried it.
This is the main thing I'm having trouble with right now. I tried not to use much water at all, but it's been "drying" for a few days and is still really moist. Puttin it in the oven at 200 and seeing how long it takes to dry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts