Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I will be using this thread as my build log for my 18" cube Exo. Its been a long time coming, but I finally got some down time to work on this tank. It will be used for my Bri Bris as their new home, as their current set up is not really ideal for breeding. Unfortunately they are still in their QT tank, that I just kept adding plants to, which is now a mess.

Tank: Exo 18" cube
Background: GS/Silicone covered with coco husk, coco bedding, sphagnum.
Lighting: 4 T-5HO 6500K Unit
Plant list (already ordered):
Neo. 'Chiquita Linda'
Neo. 'Mo Peppa Please'
Neo. olens '696'
Neo. punctatissima 'Yellow'
Neo. 'Guinea'
Neo. punctatissima rubra
Cryptanthus 'Black Mystic'
African Violet
Begonia bowerii
Begonia 'Rex'
Pilea glauca
Peperomia Prostrata
Peperomia NOID Vine
Wondering Jew
Java Moss

Here we go:
First I covered the inside with black silicone and set up the egg crate to my liking

Then covered the inside with GS and laid the wood out accordingly

You can see some other broms that I had that unfortunately won't fit :mad:

A little carving

This is where I am at today. I just finished adding the rocks to the water feature and throwing the last bit of background material on the silicone.

And a few shots of the inhabitants:)

I will be adding the new pics to the thread as I get my plants in. Hopefully the broms will be in tomorrow and I can throw up another quick update. :) Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
433 Posts
SO far I really like what I am seeing. I really like those larrger chuncks of coco stuff in the background. REally curious to see how the water will run down those rocks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. As for the water, IMO it runs down perfectly. I filled it up last night just to see what it does and I like where it runs. I added my java moss to the rocks so that it will stay wet and spread out and it helps calm the flow of the water, as it very pleasing to hear (which is what I was mainly going for with the water feature). Unfortunately I don't have anything to record with so that I can show you but I will try to get some good pics of the rocks when I get my broms in there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This has given me inspiration for my next build. I love how you brought the background OUT towards the viewer. I also love the slate pieces on the side.

How are you planning on keeping the water clean, though? Or are you not concerned about it? Just curious because of possible pump failure.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has given me inspiration for my next build. I love how you brought the background OUT towards the viewer. I also love the slate pieces on the side.

How are you planning on keeping the water clean, though? Or are you not concerned about it? Just curious because of possible pump failure.
I'm glad it inspired you, thank you for the kind words. A lot of people don't like the background coming out as it does take away a little space, but I feel that I made up for it as there will be so many plants sticking out that the frogs will have many different layers to climb on. As for water quality right now I'm not to concerned with clarity as I really wont have any fish in it just a few plants. Also the pump is really easy to get to. I will post a pic tomorrow of it when I get my plants in. Maybe later on down the road I will add an external filter but I am going to see how it does for now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm glad it inspired you, thank you for the kind words. A lot of people don't like the background coming out as it does take away a little space, but I feel that I made up for it as there will be so many plants sticking out that the frogs will have many different layers to climb on. As for water quality right now I'm not to concerned with clarity as I really wont have any fish in it just a few plants. Also the pump is really easy to get to. I will post a pic tomorrow of it when I get my plants in. Maybe later on down the road I will add an external filter but I am going to see how it does for now.
Sorry, I should have been more specific about the water question. The reason I asked is because when I built my first two tanks, I used screen over the false bottom, and yet some small particles of ABG still found their way through and into the water below. So my question really is, assuming you are having tiny particles of substrate getting into the water, how are you planning on dealing with that? Or are you NOT dealing with it? Or, alternatively, have you separated the water feature reservoir from the false bottom? Or, alternatively, have you somehow figured out how to filter out particles as they get sucked into the pump? Or is the pump not strong enough to suck up any particles?

Really, it's many questions, haha.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I really like the multi tier effect. Makes sense to spray the tier edges with GS. I will definitely steal that idea for my current 50 build.

How about a full tank shot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, I should have been more specific about the water question. The reason I asked is because when I built my first two tanks, I used screen over the false bottom, and yet some small particles of ABG still found their way through and into the water below. So my question really is, assuming you are having tiny particles of substrate getting into the water, how are you planning on dealing with that? Or are you NOT dealing with it? Or, alternatively, have you separated the water feature reservoir from the false bottom? Or, alternatively, have you somehow figured out how to filter out particles as they get sucked into the pump? Or is the pump not strong enough to suck up any particles?

Really, it's many questions, haha.
The pump is semi separated from the rest of the bottom, plus it is surrounded in thin screen as well as some filter floss. Unfortunately I didnt take a pic of the filter floss surrounding the 'box' that I made for the pump. I'll get you a pic. I still have not had time to get my plants in so I have not taken anymore pics.

Zoomie: Thanks for the kind words. I'll get you a full tank pic tomorrow, as I am still in the planting process.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I finally got my broms planted where I wanted/liked them, after many failed attempts. I also just threw in the leaf litter to see what it would look like, but I still have more plants for the floor coming next week. I liked the variety of sizes of broms that were sent to me, but as they grow in I will probably remove or relocate some as I feel that later on it could get quite cluttered. But as of right now here it is. I am by no means a photographer, so please excuse some of the poor quality images.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you are keeping bri bri in there I would highly recommend a lot more leaf litter in there as they will need a booming tank of springtails and Isopods. Even more if they begin to breed for you.
Agreed, I will add more. I just threw some in just to get the look. I still have some small plants and vines that will be coming in next week (should have already be here but...oh well) that I will need to plant, then I will add the rest of the leaf litter.
Very cool tank! I would also put a piece of wood or some emerging plants in the water section cause it looks pretty deep.
Thank you! And yes it is deep, but I will be getting some aquatic plants from my friend to put in there. Plus, it isn't pictured, but there are low places on each side of the water feature that will allow them to get out if they happen to get in. Trust me, they will not be put in the tank until I have covered all of my bases. I have had them for 2 years and have become my favorite frogs, so I will do nothing to hurt them. :)

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
Agreed, I will add more. I just threw some in just to get the look. I still have some small plants and vines that will be coming in next week (should have already be here but...oh well) that I will need to plant, then I will add the rest of the leaf litter.

Thank you! And yes it is deep, but I will be getting some aquatic plants from my friend to put in there. Plus, it isn't pictured, but there are low places on each side of the water feature that will allow them to get out if they happen to get in. Trust me, they will not be put in the tank until I have covered all of my bases. I have had them for 2 years and have become my favorite frogs, so I will do nothing to hurt them. :)
Please keep me posted on the sexes of your bri bri too ;)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dibs I get some!!! haha I couldn't really see that from the pics. I like a plant called the Aluminum plant. I have mine emerging from the water section in my tank.
We'll keep you on the list! Thanks for the heads up on the plant, I will look into that one, do you know a good place to get it?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok here is an update:
So I have had all of my plants planted now for almost 2 weeks now, and everything seems to be up and running really well. My humidity and temp's are well within their ranges, and the plants seem to be growing nicely. Also the springtails that I have seeded with are crawling everywhere so they are taking off also (all sizes). Almost all of the broms are already rooting (which can be seen in some of the pics), and some of the vines are starting to grow a bit. The only thing not really taking off yet is the java moss. It seemed to have died and is starting to slowly come back with a little bit of green, so I will leave it and see what happens. From snooping around on the forum, some have said that it happens with java moss, but we will see in my case. Here are some pics...enjoy :)

Nice roots! lol

Check out this chubby little guy. I am positive this one is the male, the other one that I have is a little skinnier than this one, so I am thinking that the other one is a male also and there is some competition going on. I will be separating them in about 2-3 days for good, and also to confirm that the smaller is a male also.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts