Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Great looking site, Ric. I'm especially impressed with the detail of the photographs taken. When it comes to identifying, it's just as important to see the ventral side of the frog as it is the dorsal! Again, great site and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Evan,

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

The Dendrobates fantasticus -Jeberos and Dendrobates imitator - Jeberos looks a lot alike...

I really like the Dendrobates duellmani... way too cool...

Steven

·
Registered
104 Posts
One word Incredible!

I would also like to know what equipment did you guys bring along with you as far as cameras, GPS and so on? Did you have problems with the camera fogging up?

thanks
Sal

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We both have Fuji cameras. Mine is the 3800, Jason has the one model up, I think its a 4800. For my camera, I made a macro lens out of a magnifying glass and duct tape, but Jason had a real one. We didn't ever have problems with fogging unless we somehow got moisture between the lens and the macro. Jason had a GPS he was using for the study, so when I update the site I may post coordinates of each forest we visited. The only other equipment we had was a sound recorder. That pic of the forest is Jason's by the way.

Evan

·
Registered
561 Posts
Evan,
Unbelievable pictures! The dorsal and ventral views are great for identification.
It is a really really good site, can wait for more pics!
Ed

G

·
Nice Evan.

I plan on going to Peru at the beginning of next year.
When I find out a little more I will have a few questions for you.
Great pics btw.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Nice site!
Can you tell us more about Heliconias, do the imitators breed on them or somewhere else? Do they have some feature that holds enough water for tads?
Are there any species that could be used in a viv?
Thanks,

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never saw an imitator in a bromeliad in the wild. They would almost always be near a heliconia stand. The heliconias hold water much the same way a large palm or diffenbachia does. The problem is, to have a heliconia that hold enough water for breeding, it has to be about 15 feet tall. So vivarium use is not practical. But if you had a very large viv, you could put in a big spathiphyllum or diffenbachia, which wild imitators use in addition to heliconias.

Evan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts