Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first viv, be gentle. =) it is going to be housing 2 (hopefully a pair) of suriname cobalt tincs (pictured below) i am so terribly excited i cant wait to get them in there. let me know what you all think of it!

·
Administrator
8,811 Posts
Looks like you've done a terrific job.

I see several "weedy" plants in there though. After you've spent a lot of time trimming (or you have 30+ tanks) you'll probably end up staying away from plants that grow so fast.

Looks very nice though.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott said:
I see several "weedy" plants in there though. After you've spent a lot of time trimming (or you have 30+ tanks) you'll probably end up staying away from plants that grow so fast.
Ya, the philo and the maidenhair grow really fast, but as this is my first tank, i want to see how fast it fills up the space. other than that, they are all slow growers including this moss that i cant figure out what it is. bright side though, if it gets overrun, it gives me an excuse to build another one!

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Nice tank. But a word of warning, if that's grapewood, it'll rot relatively quickly and you'll end up with a black mess. Ghost wood or cypress wod works great as an alternative though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone! will keep you updated on it.

to answer the questions:

1) i siliconed the cork bark curls to the back on their edges, and then brought the false bottom up to the bottom opening. i then stuffed the gaps with almost dry coco fiber (eco earth) then i poured water on it and it expanded really tight. just to be sure, i packed it down tighter and filled the tops up with gravel. i also siliconed the gaps on the inside where the pieces met and packed pea gravel on it while it was still wet, turned out pretty nice.

2) it's not grapewood, its something they call kola wood. never used it in a tank before, but i tested it for 2 months before putting it in there in my temp tank which stays at 90% humidity. the moss that is growing on it is actually attached to it as i grew it on there while it was in the temp tank. that part really came out better than i thought, but according to plan! (and no rotting or mold was seen)

3) as for the premade waterfall: i was actually planning on making one myself out of stone chips and silicone, but i saw this one at the store (it's from exo-terra) and decided to try it. It's a completely self contained system, so i figured if it looked stupid, i would just use it as a desk fountain. i planted around it and put in natural rocks to kinda camo it and i think it turned out okay. could be better, but hey, first tank =)

One other thing i will note, cause i dont know if anyone else does this. This has a 3" raised false bottom, but i decided to hide it because looking at dirty water and plastic really kills the view. I took silicone and a putty knife and spread a thin layer of black on the front and sides where the hardware was going to be and then trimmed it in a flat line once the egg crate was in. This gave it the superior drainage of a false bottom without sacrificing aesthitcs. Has anyone else used this before? i came up with it on my own, but i have to think that someone else has thought to do this =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had that same fountain in my red-eye tank but the thing i found was that it got all grimy and grew bacteria really quicky. Furthermore all the cracks and depressions in the "water path" make it real difficult to clean.

Just my experience :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Lights! Lights!

Are they even on? If so, you may need to upgrade them. The tank looks pretty big, so id say some 55W Compacts would look good in there.

The tank looks great however.

M.N

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there is a 24" shop light with 2 18W full spectrum bulbs. i want things to stay alive but not grow like crazy. if things start to die off i will upgrade, but the point here is to maintain, not trim every 3 days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update on this tank.

The water feature is going to have to come out. After the Quality Captives girls took a look at my tank in person and pointed out all the little itty bitty spots that i had missed that the frogs could escape from or squirm into, i took a better look at the tank as a whole. The feature is self contained so there is a big gap into the water holding area inside that i am sure they would discover and hide in. as well as the fact that dirt keeps on clogging the pump to the point that renders it worthless in a few hours. I dont want to have to get in there every day and clean a pump.

For now i am going to pull it out of there and put it on a shelf for use in a future tank, and rebuild the back corner with another piece of driftwood. i will post a pic this evening hopefully and you can offer opininons.

I am hoping that the tank will survive without a water feature (daily mistings will be done) but let me know if you all think that some type of feature is necessary.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE!

Well the tank surgery wen better than planned =) It didn't turn out quite the way that i wanted it, but it still is pretty nice. I put the frogs in there and they explored for about an hour and then found some nice little hidey holes to sleep in (it was pretty late when i finished) The way that it is set up, the places that they feel safe and "hidden" are in plain view for me, so i can see them all the time. This morning when i woke up, they were still sleeping in the same spots, looking content.

Thanks again to Melissa and Sarah for helping me out with this. These guys love their new home!

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Looks awesome...

Michael,

The 'surgery' looks like everything went really well. I can see the little one hiding below....

Glad we could give you a hand. Let us know if you have any questions and I look forward to you repotting those plants we were talking about!

Melis

drunknmunky said:
UPDATE!

Well the tank surgery wen better than planned =) It didn't turn out quite the way that i wanted it, but it still is pretty nice. I put the frogs in there and they explored for about an hour and then found some nice little hidey holes to sleep in (it was pretty late when i finished) The way that it is set up, the places that they feel safe and "hidden" are in plain view for me, so i can see them all the time. This morning when i woke up, they were still sleeping in the same spots, looking content.

Thanks again to Melissa and Sarah for helping me out with this. These guys love their new home!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Michael,

The pictures don't do it justice! You did an awesome job :D ! I'm sure Karen will want you to build a tank for her soon :wink: (This stuff is contagious. The phrase "resistance is futile" comes to mind :lol:......... )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts