Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was so excited this morning, I just had to tell someone that cares. My mantella viridis left me a large clutch of eggs last night. This is the first time I have gotten them to breed in the past year and a half since I had them. THe eggs look great still, but I will know for sure how they turn out very soon, because they hatch in 2 days.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank would be proud? What happened to frank? THis is frank williams we are talking about, right?

Well, I did the final inspection today, and I found the rest of the clutch which consisted of about 60 eggs altogether. they still seem to look alright, and hopefully will start to form into tads.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Mantellaprince20 said:
Frank would be proud? What happened to frank? THis is frank williams we are talking about, right?
Yes, sir. Haven't heard from him in a while, but I jsut got back on AIM. He's at college, I know, probably busy with that.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just a quick pic of the clutch. It looks exactly like my picture in my book for the first 4 days of developement. Hopefully someone with experience in this field can tell, even though it is a slightly blurry picture.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Ed,

Thanks for posting the picture. Again, congradulations man, it's great that your females finally laid eggs. It's hard to tell from the photograph but to me it looks like the eggs in the lower right are not fertile. It may be different with viridis but in aurantiaca and crocea eggs the ovum already has the start of a tail developing on it by day 4. It's very hard to tell looking at the eggs on the rock but I can kind of make out a little ridge on the ovum in most of them so I'd say there is a good chance they are fertile. They might also just be starting to loose their shape if they're not fertile, hard to tell from the photograph. You'll know in a few more days, hopefully they'll start wriggling around. Good luck,

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info devin, I will keep a good eye on them. today is about day 3, so, hopefully. I figured the ones on the leaf were no good, they are to clear. They were about 6 inches above the spot where the main clutch was laid. She must have trailed a few eggs out on her way down or up. I will get a better pic as well. I just keep crossing my fingers. If they aren't fertile, atleast I got the females laying eggs. Well, thanks again,

Ed Parker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts