Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looks in my dad's fridge and noticed he had a grocery bag full of film and I asked if I could have the film containers and my step mum said yes :)

so now I'm curious what do I use to attach the the suction cup to the container and also where would be the best places to put them...
and will 6 be enough?
what color...or angle?
these will be for a pair of imitators or some other thumbnail species.
I have looked at some threads but none really mention imitators...not even Kyles sticky thread about the placement, color, and water levels of containers

here is a pic of my tank for those who haven't seen it...where would be the best places to put them?

·
Registered
532 Posts
The care sheet for the imitators says at a 45 degree angle so I would do that and then experiment where you put the film canisters. Some on the ground and some on the glass in clusters. 6 will definelty be enough for a pair. As for how much, just a small puddle so that the eggs can be slightly covered.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The care sheet for the imitators says at a 45 degree angle so I would do that and then experiment where you put the film canisters. Some on the ground and some on the glass in clusters. 6 will definelty be enough for a pair. As for how much, just a small puddle so that the eggs can be slightly covered.
Do I need to check it for an excess water from misting?

·
Registered
242 Posts
We have had different imitators lay eggs in differently oriented canisters. I don't think they are too picky. We have had them lay in ones tilted at about 45 degrees, both pointing up and down. Most of ours are given black canisters vertical, with the oppening pointing downward. They just stick the eggs to the wall of the canister. So you will want to watch the water levels in egg deposition canisters. They don't lay in water. You can buy a pack of small suction cups, and drill a hole in each canister, just a bit smaller than the knob of the cup, and kind of pop it into the hole. The placement of the hole will determine how the cup will naturally want to settle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just use a single hole-punch (the kind with handles), to get the hole in. Then you can force the knob of the suction cup right through.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Forgot to mention, they may choose to lay eggs in some of the bromiliads, or other plants. If the broms don't hold good water, it would be a good idea to add a few canisters to hold water, and serve as tadpole deposition sites. Even when you provide a lot of egg laying sites, the frogs can find a way to hide a few clutches from time to time.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to mention, they may choose to lay eggs in some of the bromiliads, or other plants. If the broms don't hold good water, it would be a good idea to add a few canisters to hold water, and serve as tadpole deposition sites. Even when you provide a lot of egg laying sites, the frogs can find a way to hide a few clutches from time to time.
thanks...I have already made them and have the details on my construstion journal... http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...rt-semi-n00b-viv-pic-heavy-15.html#post656948
here is a pic tho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts