Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to petco's $1 per gallon sale, I now have enough tanks to fill up my first baker's rack. This thread will follow my process in designing the tanks and will include plenty of pictures. It is my hope that you all can provide me with input and advice because I am still learning. On the other hand, hopefully i can also provide information and inspiration to other people with my builds.

So here's the layout: The bottom shelf will hold three 10 gallon verts. One of these has been done for a while and already houses standard imis...

The middle shelf will hold a 20 gallon long and the top shelf will hold a 29 gallon.

Tanks :: IMG_0408.jpg picture by prim8pk - Photobucket

*In this picture there is a 20 gallon tall on the top shelf. This will be replaced by the 29 gallon.

As far as species go, The 20 gallon long will house a pair of azureus, the 29 gallon will house a small group or pair of leucs and I plan on keeping varaderos in one of the 10 gallon verts. As for the last 10 gallon vert, I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm leaning towards one of the lamasi morphs.

So here's where I am at this point. I'm in the process of putting together my 10 gallon vert for the varaderos. The greatstuff background is done. I siliconed a few pieces of mopani into the background to give the frogs some vertical space to hop around on. I'm almost done carving off the smooth outer layer of the greatstuff, then i'll start adding the silicon and coco fiber.

Tanks :: IMG_0406.jpg picture by prim8pk - Photobucket

*This was before i touched it up with more foam and did some carving

I was going to start my other tanks this week too, but last weekend, my girlfriend was up in Salida, CO and found some really cool looking driftwood near the Arkansas river. Upon examination of the wood, I determined that it is probably pine wood. This poses a problem to the health of amphibians, as the sap is toxic. However, it is clear to me that this driftwood has been sitting out for a long [email protected]# time. The sun has bleached it almost completely white and the wood feels very light and lacking in density or moisture.

Tanks :: IMG_0406.jpg picture by prim8pk - Photobucket

I drilled a hole in the wood to see if it gave off a smell of pine, but it didn't at all. I'm not going to use anything that could pose a threat to the health of my animals and I'm ok with throwing out the drifwood if that's what has to happen. However, the driftwood looks completely bad ass, so I would like to use it if possible. One idea i had was to start a new culture of springtails and put one of the smaller pieces of driftwood in there to see if it has any ill effects on the spring population. Apparently one of the compounds in pine sap was once used as a pesticide, so if the sap is still present in the wood, i'm thinking it will kill the springtails. If any of you have any other ideas or information about pine wood, please post them here. It would be much appreciated.

That's all for now. I'll try to update this thread as much as i can and hopefully get some better pictures with my canon t2i once I get a usb cable. apparently I lost mine.

- Dylan

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
In photobucket, there's a "Share this photo" box on the right where it contains "codes" that you copy and paste to post on the boards... click on the one that says code and it copies it for you so that you can just paste it in when you post :)

Basically next time, look for the "share this photo" section and copy the [IMG] code

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
as this comes up a lot I thought I would write up a little "how-to" on placing images into your threads.

as i previously only had a photobucket account, i signed up for a flickr and imageshack account as well to show where the tools are on each.

let me start by saying that this is VERY simple.

you should start with one of two types of images, either an image that you have taken and uploaded to your computer, or an image which is hosted online and which already has a URL designated. the latter is the easiest to do.

simply take the image URL: (i'll use one of my images as an example)

http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t353/ratfink_nova/20100920-_MG_3024.jpg

you will find it here-

it will look like this if your posting any pic from the internet (like for instance from google images)

copy the URL and place it between these
pre-URL:

this will link the image like so:

if your starting with an image on your computer, its easiest to simply upload it to an image hosting website. photobucket, flickr, and imageshack are the first three that come to mind.
simply create an account and folow the very simple instructions to upload images.

now its even easier.

photobucket:
drag your cursor over the image in your "album" and a box will appear. click on the part that says "IMG code" highlighted below, and it will instantly copy the IMG code which you need only to paste in a thread.

photobucket is by far the easiest IMO

flickr: go to "your photostream". click on the image you want to select. then select "SHARE THIS" (highlighted below in red)

then copy the URL (highlighted below in red)and add the IMG codes to the front and end as described earlier in this thread

imageshack: once the picture is uploaded go to your album. on the right of the picture there is a row of buttons. click the top button (highlighted in red below) "SHARE IT"

you can then select the content from the "forums" box. copy and paste it into the thread.

unfortunately it also inserts a link to your imageshack account with every picture.

hope this helps, and Mods/Kyle, please consider adding this to the stickys as i think it could be a usefull tool (which is why i sat her for an hour and made it :) )

james
hope this helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks James, that definitely helps! Next time I post pics I shouldn't have any problems.

So here's a small update. I took one of the smaller pieces of driftwood and cut it in half. What I found is that there was no smell of pine or any evidence of sap. The only smell present was a faint smell of stagnant water (the kind of smell that you get when a fish tank is ready for a water change) But again, this was almost unnoticeable. I have put one of the halves of driftwood into a fresh springtail culture to see if it has any effect. I'll keep you up to date on how this goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts