Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm trying to figure out what I have in my bastimentos shipment. I was hoping for 1.3 because I have two calling males already. In an effort to psuedo test them I put them together in pairs to see how they would react to each other. I've not heard any calling, but two of them I put together started a dominance/fighting. The more aggressive of one of the pairs would jump and sit on the submissive, still no calling. Is this just agression among females? I separated them as soon as I realized that this behavior was persisting. The one that I thought was a male was acting in this dominant way. But, no calling...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Put them all in separate well lit containers. The males should start to call. The ones that don't, pencil in as females and try pairing with calling males. Same sex pumilio won't always fight. If it's a pair you should hear calling within a couple of days if not sooner. Male male you may hear calling as well, just start looking for aggression and eggs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
separation

As soon as I got them in I put everything in a separate 5 1/2 g quarantine tank. No calling took place for two weeks. They could see into the next tank.

With my almirante, when I finally put them together calling happened within 2 minutes. These I'm pretty sure are pairs because all of them have fattened up and the females are really fat. There is no observed agression in the pairs.

Now, the bastimentos haven't called at all. I decided to see if I could enduce any calling by putting them in pairs. Two of them are hanging out just fine together, no fighting, no calling (I'm hoping for females anyway). Another couple that I put together, the smaller one of the two started showing agression. I was thinking that it might be a male, but still no calling.
*There are calling almirante in the room, but not on the same shelving system.
*There are calling bastimentos in the building, but not in the same room.

I know that some of the new owners mentioned that they saw pairs showing agression, but I would feel better about this if he was atleast calling.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hey Kenya try playing a recording of a pumilio calling next to the tank. This worked for me a could days ago when I wanted to show my Grandmother what they sounded like and looked like when they called. I got the recording off of azdr.com.

Everett

1 - 4 of 4 Posts