Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Brent,

I myself am a wildlife biologist as well. I use landscape models all of the time for my work. My boss is an entomologist and is always giving me strange ideas on how to catch specific insect species. He never asks why i need to catch certain spp. as I think he is happy to reveal his techniques to another living being...lol. Thanks for the link. I have used pitfall traps with some success. Of course I modify them so that I only obtain the small stuff. It also helps that I am in the field most days and have much access to termites.

have fun,

Justin

· Registered
1,284 Posts
Brent,

Yes, I use a modified trap. Just basically cardboard rolled up inside some pvc. I cap one end and dig it in about 1-2 feet in an area that I know there are termites. Let it sit for a week or so and then unroll the cardboard out into a rubbermaid bin. I am still working on finding an efficient way of sorting the temites from the dirt. I catch plenty of them in my pitfall traps.... just some jars dug into the ground underneath a coverboard in the woods = works terrific if you check them everyday.

Justin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.