Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am more of a houseplant guy. Vivariums etc have always peeked my interest though. I have a ficus villosa coming my way and from what I've read, they're more suited towards the vivarium/humidity life.

With that said, I am asking if anyone has recent experience with this plant. I've searched to find little results here outside of a couple threads. My plan is to find a small starter diy vivarium or jar, layer it correctly and let it grow up on/up something. I would like for it to be a stand alone houseplant in an enclosure.

Would it be better suited in soil or sphagnum moss? Should I keep a lid or the top sealed with this set up? I admit I haven't done a lot of research on the initial set up portion, and will do my due diligence there.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It doesn’t respond well it drying out. I set mine near the top of my terrarium on top of a log with no moss. It gets sprayed daily by my misters.
I would put a little sphagnum below it. Not burying any portion of the stem.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
It doesn’t respond well it drying out. I set mine near the top of my terrarium on top of a log with no moss. It gets sprayed daily by my misters.
I would put a little sphagnum below it. Not burying any portion of the stem.
Appreciate the insight. I am going to get a clipping or two soon in a trade. Do you find it "delicate"? Seems pretty "easy" by my research. Growth rate?

·
Super Moderator
2,923 Posts
Mine likes to be kept fairly damp. I never have trouble starting it along a wall at the bottom of the tank, but it can get cranky as it gets up closer and closer to the fans and vent. It's a fantastic shingler. I would have it grown against something anytime you can.

Mark

·
Registered
611 Posts
It can grow quickly. It can be cranky. In my experience, as it has been well established it is not delicate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts