Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use Ficus leaves for substate in their vivs? I brought my ficus in off the deck for the winter and it's dropping a bunch of leaves and wondered if they'd work in the tank?
Mike

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I have heard that ficus produces an irritating substance in its leaves. That is why you shouldn't use them with larger chameleons, because it can really bother their eyes. Anyway, It is just what I have heard.

Ed

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Dunner97074 said:
Anyone ever use Ficus leaves for substate in their vivs? I brought my ficus in off the deck for the winter and it's dropping a bunch of leaves and wondered if they'd work in the tank?
Mike
I just dumped another handful of ficus leaves in a viv about 5 minutes ago. I've been using the leaves off of our large Ficus benjamanii for years without problems. I think Ed is right that Ficus sap does produce an irritating substance but if you collect only the leaves that yellow and drop off naturally, there really isn't any sap in them anyway. The leaves look great in vivs and make good cover for froglets.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do recall something about the sap but wondered if it bothered the frogs. The size, texture and color are perfect. Plus, it'll give my other tank a different look from the moss.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts