Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at my FF jars. Am I doing something wrong? Seems they are getting out even during times not near when I open them.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you positive it's from the jars and not from the tank?

Pat
I'm pretty certain it's both.... but I might be wrong. Right after I feed the frog, I usually put a piece of window screen between the tank and the regular lid for the tank. Sometimes FF's appear right next to or on the jars even when the jars are far away.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If they were escaping from the jars you could see holes in the cloth material you are using for a lid. They are escaping from the viv. All those plastic pieces on the top make for many holes/cracks around the rim. First off, the flies are attracted to light, so they climb up and find their way out. Then, they can be attracted back to their original jars from the smell of food.
Your jars are small and easily sealed. It would be very obvious to you if they were escaping from the jars. There would be no question.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
If you are using standard window screening, that isn't a sufficient barrier as many types of fruit flies can easily get through it. Also if there is any uneveness where the screen is on the tank, the flies will readily use it to escape.

Ed

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
yeah, melanos and even hydei can squeeze through the windowscreen gaps. I use a similar jar method to you, but have switched cloth out for micron filter disks. Something to look into as the disks are autoclavable and reusable and really cut down on mite issues and over drying of media

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just received a pack of these things for a different use, but they are pretty sweet and I can see them working very well for jar cultures.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts