Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I use this recipe from http://www.doylesdartden.com/:
1 cup of powdered sugar
4 teaspoons Methyl paraben (replaced with vinegar)
8 cups potato flakes
1/2 - 1 cup of brewers yeast.

I use 1:1 water vinegar for the liquid, and have had great luck. I just buy the local store brand of potatoe flakes.

joshua_delancey69 said:
WHO HAS A GOOD MEDIA THAT YEILDS GOOD THAT I COULD TRY OUT JUST LEAVE RECIPE ON BOARD.
THANKS

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use the above media and it outproduces all the other medias I have tried, and it is really cheap to make.

G

·
Back when I had frogs I used to use instant potato flakes with applesauce. I would put a little bit of yeast on top, and that was it. It smelled a bit worse than some others, and I eventually switched to Eds Fly Meat, and/or Carolina (thinned with potato flakes)-- depending on what was available. For the thinned Carolina mix I would add spirulina and other goodies for fun and color.
J

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is what I've been using for the past few months. To each 24 oz. or 32 oz. container combine:

1/2 Cup of warm water
1/2 Tablespoon of sugar
1 Tablespoon of powdered milk
4-6 Tablespoons of instant mashed potato flakes
A few granules of bakers yeast

It's very cheap and produces well, better than most comercial mediums. Unfortunatly it smells aweful after two weeks so don't keep them in your bedroom.

G

·
THE ALL TIME GREATEST FRUIT FLY RECIPE

Jen and I use the greatest fruit fly recipe there is. It averages out to a cost of about 7 - 12 cents per culture, (that is including container and foam plug), and never EVER stinks. It goes like this:

First, boil two cups of flax seed with six cups of water.

Boil until it is almost, but not quite gelatinous.

In a separate mixing boil, mix together the following ingredients;

1 cup honey
1 pint of applesauce
1/2 pint of water
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup of nutritional/brewers yeast
1 cup corn meal
6 cups oatmeal
2 tablespoons of methylparaben

While the flax seeds are boiling down, stir the pot well, until everything is pretty much one color, or just a blend.

Pour in flax seeds while still boiling, and stir in with a mixer, to ensure good even mixing of all contents. Allow to cool.

I always place a piece of a women's scrub sponge, (you know, the wadded up net on a rope) in every culture, because that excelsior crap drops wood into the tanks, and into new starter cultures. Add a pinch of yeast (more than a few granules, since the flies will feed off of the yeast, and the maggots the fermenting sugar from the honey) and add about 50 flies, and you will have a culture that will produce for MORE than 6 weeks easy.

The above recipe will make 50 24 oz. cultures roughly.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
What about apple souce instead of patatoe flakes? Because i hear that patatoe flakes can stink up a storm.

Thanks
Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts