Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Lately my ff cultures have been producing slower, less flies, and smaller flies. Is there a reason for this, or a way that I can get them to produce faster? For example, I set up a culture on november sixth, and I am just starting to get larva, not even flies.

Jordan

G

·
Jordan,
What species of flies are we talking here? If they are hydei it sounds like the time frame is about right.I checked one of my hydei vials and the date on it is 10-30 and it is just now starting to to have a large number of pupa in it with some hatching.
Mark W.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Temperature seem to play a big role in production time for flies. In late spring through early fall, my home temps are in the low 70's, and my fly production time is about 7 days for melanogaster and 4 weeks (or a little less) for hydei (that's start date to first new flies). Those dates seem to shift when the house temps get lower in the late fall/early winter. I actually placed a waterbed heater with a towel over the top in my ff cabinet to raise the temps a bit in there. It took some experimenting with the proper temperature setting, but works quite well.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have read that they do better in light, I haven't tested it though. Seeing how most flies are diurnal, I wouldn't recommend putting them in the dark. If you have a light in your insulated box that might work good.

Ed Parker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts