Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a fresh d. Hydei fruit fly culture on the eleventh of this month. It has been ten days and I am yet to see any reproduction goin on. Usually within the first week I start to see new flies but I am unsure if it was the same species. Does this species of FF usually take this long to start producing new flies? If not could I be doing something wrong? They are in standard deli cups with media I bought in bulk from I think black jungle and the straw looking stuff(can't think of the name right now) any help would be great. I am not looking forward to paying $14 at a local shop for new cultures that are always horrible. Now that I think about it the culture I bought from there is also having trouble booming and I will soon be out of food for my froggies:eek:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn looks like I gotta go grab a new culture. I got 3 goin right now and between all of em I can't get enough to feed 4 frogs. Ugh I wish I could order online cause the culture I got from a local shop is doin worse then the new cultures, but I need it asap so don't have time to ship. + the fact that one culture there costs me about the same as 5 cultures if I bought it online.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hydei are bigger than melongaster but take longer to reproduce. I wouldn't worry about not seeing any action after 10 days. I make a fresh melo culture EVERY SUNDAY whether I need it or not and make a hydei every couple weeks. I usually have waaaay more flies than I need for my 2 frogs but that's a much better problem than not having enough.

I highly recommend reading this thread, it's going on right now and has answered a LOT of good culturing questions:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fo...p-keeping-constant-supply-ffs.html#post701735

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
With hydei you need to pay attention to the age of the flies when you start the new culture. If you pull from the first few days of the first emergence you can get only one sex of hydei which makes starting a new culture an issue. The flies also have to take several days to reach sexual maturity once they have emerged which can also slow down the time to when you see the first larvae.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts