Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made three melo cultures using josh media and for some reason it is not producing. After the first boom in the culture, there would be tons of flies, then it slowly stop producing. I have the cultures in a sterilite bins, but lay the lid of the bin on top, so it gives enough air flow. I dont see any moving larvae, just a couple moving. Temp is mid 70s

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. The culture last a week and a half at best.

If any one can help, i would seriously appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
hey ED on a side not for MELO FF's what are the temp ranges for the cultures with no ILL effects,, low to high temp ranges?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
I don't measure the temperatures at the high end where I keep my flies in my room so I can't say for sure...as for too low, I don't keep mine where they are likely to go below 65 F.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I don't measure the temperatures at the high end where I keep my flies in my room so I can't say for sure...as for too low, I don't keep mine where they are likely to go below 65 F.

Ed

well good to know as they never go below the mid 70's, but i keep my cultures on top of a vertical deep freeze and there are hotspots on it lets say, so that being said i use a IR temp gun and i measure the temps of the culture medium and sometimes they read 84-86F, now that being said i haven't noticed any fliers, but could that slow down production rates?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Not all flightless flies produce fliers if they get above 81 F. In all honesty at this moment, I don't feel like digging out the answer as to whether it will decrease production or not. I've got to finish getting dinner ready. Consider it some homework for you to figure out.

Ed

Reactions: zBrinks

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Not all flightless flies produce fliers if they get above 81 F. In all honesty at this moment, I don't feel like digging out the answer as to whether it will decrease production or not. I've got to finish getting dinner ready. Consider it some homework for you to figure out.

Ed
didn't mean to strike a nerve, just thought you might know off the top.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
didn't mean to strike a nerve, just thought you might know off the top.
No, you didn't strike a nerve.. I just have other things that also take up my time like making dinner or washing the diishes or even taking care of my herps.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
No, you didn't strike a nerve.. I just have other things that also take up my time like making dinner or washing the diishes or even taking care of my herps.

Ed

have you ever had fliers? if so were you able to pinpoint the reason why?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I haven't been in the hobby all that long, but culturing flies was the number 1 priority to nail down. I've used multiple commercial mixes and countless mixes of my own. I'd like to encourage people to do their own experimentation. It's great to read articles and get so base info, but there's nothing like hands on experience.

Set up some controlled experiments. It's fun!

I've cultured flies as high as 82F just for shits and giggles. I was able to get Wingless Melanogaster to pop in 9 days and Hydei in 16 days. I dare you to try Gliders at those temps. :)

Each fly has different advantages and disadvantages.

Hydei are a little trickier and IMO need a higher protein based medium. This is based on my own experiences. Great for filling up larger frogs.

Wingless are a very stable fly. Great for feeding froglets.

Curly wing, I'd put into the same as Wingless.

Gliders are my favorite for adults. I don't want my frogs just sitting and picking away at a pile of flies. I dump them into my hand and blow them into the viv. They are a very active fly and this encourages the frogs to HUNT for their food, not just pull up to a buffet.

Go ahead and mess around. Try them at low temps and high temps. Watch, learn, document and share. :cool:

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
have you ever had fliers? if so were you able to pinpoint the reason why?
Yes and each time was during a heat wave. So I stopped using the vestigial/wingless flies and switched over to gliders.
Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts