Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of ff culters with breathable fabric lid's. How in the hell do you get the fly's out with out a bunch of them getting out all over the place? :eek: Please tell me or show me the trick to do this. :confused:

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Banging the fruit fly container is crucial (as shown in the video that Zack posted). Don't be shy. Bang and bang until you get some into the cup. Then put that lid back on asap. It just takes a little practice.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I should have added - if you want a little extra working time with the fruit flies, put the culture in the fridge for a minute or so, until the flies slow down. As they warm up, they'll quickly be running around like normal, but it will make working with them a bit easier.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
ive found that if you simply tilt the CX downwards and spin it the flies come out without the need to tap the cultures. it helps when the media becomes just a little too soggy. no one likes emptying 4 cultures and on the 5th dumping the media on top of the lot and having to trash it all. ;)

james

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I was doing research on the effects of irradiated fruit on fruit flies, I would have to anesthetize a pickle jar full of them, then count them one by one before they woke up. Putting them in the freezer for a few minutes really slowed them down, but these weren't flightless (well until the 6th generation or so), so if you weren't fast they would be every where haha and then I would have to fog the place do they wouldn't mix with the control cultures haha. I started that research in high school and people would walk down the hall with swarms of fruit flies the first couple times I tried.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts