Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Frog poop is all the fertilizer you need ;)

Unless it's a plant only tank, I wouldn't fertilize. I also don't have any experiences with fertilizers for vivariums so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
from Black Jungle

7-9-5 This concentrated formula is a superior general purpose nutrient solution containing all 6 essential macronutrients and all 10 essential micronutrients that every plant needs. Liquid Grow™ will give your vegetables, fruit trees, house plants and landscape healthy leaf and stem growth. It is ideal for poor, rocky soils and container grown plants. The low soluble salts and slightly higher phosphorus makes this a great all year African violet or orchid formula for those who don't want to switch formulas to promote flowering. Use Liquid Grow™ as a rapid cure for nutrient deficiencies. When mixed at dilute concentrations Liquid Grow™ is quick acting as a foliar spray and safe for terrarium use when animals are present.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I still personally feel that it is 1-unnecesary to fertilize frog vivs due to the large amount of waste that naturally collects on the plants root areas, and 2- that while it is PRESUMED safe, I doubt any teting has been done on long term effects, knowing full well that fertilizers and amphibians don't mix that well and finally 3- At "dilute" concentrations that would potentially make it viv safe, it wouldnt be worth the money.
I also feel like there are much better liquid organic ferts on the market besides dyna-gro

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I still personally feel that it is 1-unnecesary to fertilize frog vivs due to the large amount of waste that naturally collects on the plants root areas, and 2- that while it is PRESUMED safe, I doubt any teting has been done on long term effects, knowing full well that fertilizers and amphibians don't mix that well and finally 3- At "dilute" concentrations that would potentially make it viv safe, it wouldnt be worth the money.
I also feel like there are much better liquid organic ferts on the market besides dyna-gro
Frogparty, you seem to have a pretty good handle on fertiliser info...I was wondering about planted aquarium ferts. Is there a major difference to these when compared to typical above water ferts? They are obviously safe for fish who live and breath in the water, so it just got me thinking about their possible use in a viv. I know nothing about aquariums, water keeping, and how submerged plants differ in fertiliser absorption compared with terrestrial plants, so this is possibly a really stupid question. Thanks

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I don't know anything about aquarium fertilizers at all. The nutrients might be in a different form to make them more appropriate for fully aquatic habitats.

The question about ferts in a viv has often come up, and I still feel that frog poop alone should be just fine. I have orchids blooming constantly in vivs, and showing lush growth, so Im not feeling likethey are missing out. I also have never noticed any deficiencies in mobile or immobile nutrients, so I don't think that any micronutrients or macronutrients are in levels too low for healthy plant growth. With the addition of leaf litter for decomposing nitrogen etc. and clay nutrients from substrate of background an even fuller compliment of nutrients should be available.

·
Registered
19,329 Posts
It depends on the fertilizer, the substrate and the plants in question. I have had one tank and have friends who have plants begin to become clorotic or otherwise show signs of poor growth in long running terrariums. One of the things you have to remember in terrariums is that we are getting into areas where nutrients are ending up getting sequestered by the plants, microbes and microfauna. As these get sequestered they are no longer available to other plants and while the import of carbon and nitrogen may be high, the export (in the form of waste water and plant cuttings) may be higher in those micronutrients. Yes there are problems with fertilizers in general but is because of the high levels of ammonia, and nitrate that they ususally leach as part of the runoff.

I wouldn't mix it into your misting nozzles but as a directed supply to specific plants should be fine if follow the directions and if there is concern dilute it further.

Aquarium fertilizers come in two different forms, one is a solution of salts which is added to the water column, and the other is in the form that is added below the surface layer of gravel where it slowly becomes available to the plants through roots.

Did you bother to talk to the seller's first before bringing it to the forum?

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts